C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though......

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though......

it's pretty much the same 450-500 cars :confused: There is a 9,000mi '68 427 roadster in Oregon that has been on/off eBay since Thanksgiving :lol: Multiple '90-'95 ZR-1s not bringing near what they want. I also noticed another trick-they say "No Reserve", but then they'll put the "starting bid" price at what they'd probably take for the car anyway :lol: :lol: :lol: Also saw "Found RARE 1985 4+3 Corvette" :lolg: What is kinda odd, for so many '79 or '84s built, does'nt seem like you see that many on there-I may be wrong. There is a White '64 coupe, looks nice, no reserve, no minimum bid that's up to I think $20,100 and sounds like it'll go. Seems like the majority of these cars are just rotating around. Don't you have to PAY each time the car is listed OR only IF you sell???

[Modified by Paul Borowski, 4:56 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 06:00 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (Paul Borowski)

Mine didn't hit my reserve ($200 shy), but the person interested was local, came and looked at the car. 2 days later he bought it at his high bid. If anything it saved me from any further costs had the auction been successful.

So yeah - they do sell. :)
Old 02-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (70PurpleLS7)

Mine didn't hit my reserve ($200 shy), but the person interested was local, came and looked at the car. 2 days later he bought it at his high bid. If anything it saved me from any further costs had the auction been successful.

So yeah - they do sell. :)
But do you pay EACH time the car is listed??? Or just ONCE??? Or do you NOT have to pay IF it does'nt sell???
Old 02-12-2003, 06:12 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (Paul Borowski)

I bought mine under a Buy It Now scenario. I missed out on two prior cars when my bid wasn't strong enough or timed correctly. I still regret missing out on a burgandy 74 vert from Kansas.

Anyone selling a Vette at this time of the year probably suspects that they'd do better in the spring, so they might be hesitant to settle for winter time pricing.

:cheers:
Old 02-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (foundvettelifeisgood)

Sems like only 10-20% sold in the last 4 months or so (the ones I looked at)
Old 02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
ry
Racer

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (foundvettelifeisgood)

from what i was told... you pay a certian amount to make the bid (even if the car dosen't sell). If it does sell then you have to give them a small percentage of the high bid subtracting what you paid to begin with. of course i have never done it so don't take my word on it
Old 02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
TNT
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (Chris@VetteFinders)

I think most sellers are looking for a sucker! Down here in south La we call it a Goo-Jeau. Kinda cajun french for a fish of a sucker. :lolg: Thad
Old 02-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

So yeah - they do sell. :) But do you pay EACH time the car is listed??? Or just ONCE??? Or do you NOT have to pay IF it does'nt sell???
You pay a listing fee ($40) each time it is listed. Then you pay a sell amount ($40) if it sales.

Could be a way to get an estimate of the value of your car. List it (for the $40 listing fee) and put a reserve price that you feel no one will ever reach. Then for the $40 you can see what others think the top price of your car should be. If they should reach your reserve you can either withdraw the car or put a tidy profit in the bank as you just made double what you thought the car was worth.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 5:32 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 07:43 PM
'71vert
Instructor

I actually found mine on ebay. I was in the market and just checking to see what some price levels were. One of the cars that I really liked was only about 20 miles away. I was heading out that way that weekend. I ended up buying it directly from the guy. I believe for a few hundred less than the reserve. We also 'negociated' to include the hardtop. It needs quite a bit of work (w.s., headliner), but I figure that was worth a few hundred itself. :)
Old 02-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (Tom73)

So yeah - they do sell. :) But do you pay EACH time the car is listed??? Or just ONCE??? Or do you NOT have to pay IF it does'nt sell???
You pay a listing fee ($40) each time it is listed. Then you pay a sell amount ($40) if it sales.
That's interesting. E-bay used to charge a fee based on the final selling price with all kinds of formulas... 5.75% of the first $25.00... 2.5% up to $1000... & 1.5% for every $1000 over that. Guessing they were driving away the auto dealers who might be selling a classic car at a price of $50,000 and then they were stuck with paying E-bay $800 to just list it if it sold. $40.00 is still cheaper than putting an ad in your local paper for 2 lines with a phone # for every nitwit to call and only ask... "How much will you take for it?"... without ever once seeing the car. It steams me everytime I think about it. :mad
Old 02-12-2003, 08:26 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (bgrice)

I've sold about 6 cars on ebay over the years, including my '73 Coupe. I'm actually pretty sure I'm going to sell the '70 I just got, because it seems that I need the money more than the car. I've had good luck selling over ebay, so I might sell the '70 on there too, although I'd prefer to sell to a forum member and "keep it in the family."
Old 02-12-2003, 08:36 PM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (bgrice)

That's interesting. E-bay used to charge a fee based on the final selling price with all kinds of formulas... 5.75% of the first $25.00... 2.5% up to $1000... & 1.5% for every $1000 over that. Guessing they were driving away the auto dealers who might be selling a classic car at a price of $50,000 and then they were stuck with paying E-bay $800 to just list it if it sold. $40.00 is still cheaper than putting an ad in your local paper for 2 lines with a phone # for every nitwit to call and only ask... "How much will you take for it?"... without ever once seeing the car. It steams me everytime I think about it. :mad
They still do that percentage fee stuff for other items but cars, motorcycles and land they do differently. I thought about listing mine but will wait till spring if it hasn't sold through vettefinders. I have that listing until 4/20 although, like here on the forum, a lot of lookers but few bites and none of the bites have come through :(
Old 02-12-2003, 09:27 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (Ed T)

I didn't actually purchase mine through the auction, but I located my car on E-bay. The car was ~60 miles away, so I looked it over and after the auction ended (reserve not met), I made a deal and purchased it.

Old 02-12-2003, 10:02 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though...... (WA 2 FST)

I bought mine off of evil bay. Ir's my first Corvette purchase and I love the car. I really was a real mental strain, bidding on a car in Fl when I live in TN. I won the bid,drove a rental car to Tampa area and drove the vette back to Knoxville area. What a blast. :D
Old 02-12-2003, 11:00 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

It looks like you pay $40 to list a car, and another $40 if it sells. These are fixed fees for automobiles. If the vehicle doesn't sell, you can relist, but you do get charged another insertion fee. If the vehicle sells, you can get that insertion fee refunded. So, these people that are relisting cars over and over without selling them are paying ebay some money.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:37 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay???

If your car doesn't sell the first time, ebay will waive the relisting fee if you lower your opening bid/reserve (I believe) and relist within a set amount of time (a week?)

I know that when I sold the '73 I listed twice, but was only charged $40 listing and $40 selling fee.

Get notified of new replies

To Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though......

Quick Reply: Do Any Corvettes Actually Sell On eBay??? Seems As Though......