C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
MIDNIGHT BLUE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running hot

i'm told that you can over heat if your timing is to far advanced. has any one had this happen? and how far of advance will cause this problem
Old 02-12-2003, 04:04 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: running hot (1970LS6)

Tell us what you have: ie. motor mods, radiator,fan, ac/no-a/c. ect.
It could be related to any one of those things or more.
:smash:
Old 02-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: running hot (smokin75-427)

If this is just an FYI question, I don't know the specific answer.

If your vette is overheating, make sure you have the chin spoiler in front which is not mutilated or missing, seals around rad and fan shroud, a properly working fan clutch, and the seal between the hood and the top of the rad. These all force cool air through the rad and keep out hot engine compartment air which is critical for hot running big blocks.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually, too little advance is more likely to cause overheating than is too much. In most cases, too much advance will will cause other problems like starter kickback, pinging, or surging long before you have an overheating problem.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:00 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 2 cents.. There are a number of things that can cause overheating, incorrect timing is one of them. A sticking thermostat, clogged veins in the rad, low rad levels, are a few of the others. Quick reference to the Haynes manual also says a bad rad cap, slipping belts and a cracked or damaged fan/clutch assembly may be others. It's a process of elimination to determine the problem. I had this problem on hot days in stop and go traffic. Here's what I did to correct it after I blew an engine. Complete rad tear down and rebuild. New hi flow water pump, 165 degree thermostat, new hoses all around, clean properly mixed antifreeze to water ratio. I also add a bottle of water wetter which is suppose to lower the engine temp by about ten degrees or so. I was so paranoid about heating up my new engine I also bought a 12 inch aftermarket electric fan and put that on as well. I ran a swicth that I hid up under the steering column and haven't had to use it yet, but I'll tell ya...I feel good knowing it's there if I need it. Not sure why the first engine overheated so badly so quickly..I was on the highway crusin at a comfortable 70 mph, one minute and pulled off to the side of the road with the hood open watching the bottom of the rad overflow melt out the next...It was nasty. I had my car flatdecked home ($200) where it sat for 6 months while I saved for the new engine. I won' t let that happen again.. You'll find the problem, it's a process of elimination. Happy Hunting & Good Luck :thumbs:
Old 02-14-2003, 12:56 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert, but I think that generally, advancing your timing will increase the engine temps.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:42 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drain out all that anti-freeze.......Add one bottle of Redline Water Wetter and about a quart of anti-freeze...fill to the top with "DISTILLED WATER"...Make sure the air dams are blocking air going over the top of the radiator.....Then go blast that puppy down the road.... :seeya Cappy

Get notified of new replies

To running hot

Quick Reply: running hot