C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 01:58 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing?

Changing heads, something I noticed.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:17 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing? (KJL)

Are you referring to the "crosshatch" pattern which is the result of honing or something else?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:21 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing? (mapman)

This are straight scatches in direction of the stroke. Cross hatching is still visible from past rebuild. Cylinder bore wear appears minimal.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing? (KJL)

If you drag your finger nail perpendicular to the groove or scratch without cathcing your nail, it's fine. This probably just typical thrust side wear and will be evident on all V engines to some degree.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:43 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing? (Monty)

Most I cannot feel with my nail but on one cylinder there are a couple my nail catches on. My compression is good, bearing clearances are ok.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Do you knwo how many miles are on this engine?

If the compression tests fine and the rest of the engine is in good shape, I'd just run it as it is unless you're looking for an excuse to do a rebuild or something.

A leakdown test would tell for sure if the scratch or groove is deep enough to effect compression or performance.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:59 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing? (Monty)

I don't know how many miles this engine has seen sense its last rebuild. Ironically this cylinder and the one next to it did test at 155psi where the others were at 160. But I also suspect a minior gasket leak between the two cylinders. I will know for sure once the the engine is back together. I am planning on doing a complete rebuild in a couple of years. Thanks for your input. :)
Old 02-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

155 on the lowest cylinder compared to 160 on all the others is very good. If it were me, I'd button it back up and run it.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:06 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing?

Quick Reply: Are light scatches inside the cylinder bore a realy bad thing?