C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Simul8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Mount

I think my shock mount has become one with my t-arm. Have been working on it off & on now, for over a week. Any advice? I have been soaking with PB Blaster, still no luck. It's probably frozen to the strut rod bearing sleeve.

Also any tricks to removing clamped exhaust pipes. They spin, but I am unable to pull them apart. The system is not that old, and I'd like to reinstall it after I get the rearend done.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:58 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Shock Mount (Simul8)

This was one of the hardest things for me to get apart also. I just pounded and pounded and pounded with bigger and bigger and bigger hammers until it came out. First tho I was able to twist it in the spindle so I was sure it hadn't actually grown into the spindle with rust or anything. Actually I think I got very lucky I didn't break off any of the tabs on the spindles as that is not unheard of, and is MUCH more expensive than new mounts. Also, I did a good jub of mushrooming the ends of the mounts. I was able to repair the threads and reuse the mounts. But in retrospect, or if I had a business, I would just cut the mounts flush to the spindle and then drill them out until the remainders were easy to remove, and buy new mounts.

Good luck on this really painful task
Chris
Old 02-12-2003, 03:07 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Simul8,

There have been several recent threads on shock mounts - you might try the search button. I pounded on mine and broke the "ear" on the bearing support ($170).

You might try putting a baggie around the strut end / shock mount rolt / bearing support "ears" and filling it with brake fluid. Let the shock mount bolt stay immersed for several days to give the brake fluid a chance to penetrate into the shock mount bolt/strut rod end interface.

I had soaked mine in PB Blaster for several days, but when I finally got them apart the bolt was DRY rust.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

A decent sized 2-jaw bearing puller can be used there. If you are replacing your shock mounts be careful you don't get replacements manufactured in China. Torque specs are 80 ft. pounds on the nuts, the Chinese threads on mine pulled off at about 40 pounds. A forum sponsoring supplier was good about returning them, but did not do a recall as I suggested. Your exhaust system could be cut and splicing pieces can be fitted for re-installation, you should be able to find them anywhere Walker products are sold.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:10 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the shock mount, heat is your friend, along with the shock knocker tool. Fire up the ol' torch and heat up the ears on the spindle support, then whack away with the BFH.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:14 PM
PB82CE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had to cut mine off with a torch as well... :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Mount

Quick Reply: Shock Mount