C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Speedo gear -- do I need to drain first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 09:45 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Speedo gear -- do I need to drain first?

Not only is my speedo driven gear wrong (+5 mph @ 70), it's also leaking at that point. So first I need to see what color the gear is so I can get some others to try. Do I need to drain the tranny to pull and/or check the gear?

Also, are there any "gotchas" involved in resealing this hole?
Old 02-12-2003, 10:14 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Replacing Speedo gear -- do I need to drain first? (page62)

Naw, it'll drain itself quite nicely when you pull that gear fitting out. :D

When I did my '78, I just put a oil catch pan underneath the crossmember and yanked it out. You'll get a half quart or so & it goes all over hell and back because the crossmember's in the way. BTW, getting that fitting out to replace the o-ring & gear is right up there on my top ten PITA list because you've got to be a contortionist to do it with the crossmember in place. Can be done, though.

[EDIT] Just remembered that you don't have the original turbo 350 anymore, so I'm not sure if the above is accurate for your application--

JB

[Modified by JB, 9:24 AM 2/12/2003]

[Modified by JB, 9:44 AM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is a formula you can use to calculate the number of teeth that will be required on the gear or sumpn like dat. I'll see if I can find it in the archives.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 02-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm not 100% sure on a TH200-4r, but on a TH400 it is a pretty simple job. A little fluid will run out, but usually only about a 1 or 2 oz. at the most. Since most of the fluid is in the pan, TC and valve bodies. Just be extra careful jack up the rear of the car so if there is any large amount of fluid back there it will run forward toward the pan.
If the speedogear is like most GM autos, there is a single bolt holding an "U" shaped retainer over the speedo gear housing. Take this bolt out and disconnect the cable and the housing should pull out. It is only sealed by an O ring that fits around the housing.
If there is a leak it is probably from the speedo cable connection rather than the main O-ring. There is a small O-ring that fits inside the cable connection that should be replaced, there is room for two of them inside the housing so just to be sure double ring it.
Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Speedo gear -- do I need to drain first?

Quick Reply: Replacing Speedo gear -- do I need to drain first?