C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another cylinder head question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:46 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another cylinder head question

This is getting a little ridiculous.... it all started with the need for a left rear bearing. :lol: :lol:

Since then, I've put on offset trailing arms, (new bearings of course) and I am in the process of pulling the engine for my TPI install.

Here's what I've got to work with:

Stock L48 lower end and 882 heads
3.08 rear
TH-400 with shift improver but stock stall converter

I am swapping in a Comp XE256 (the TPI version)
Dynomax headers
TPI from an '89 with a custom wiring harness and reprogrammable chip

I have a ton of work to do between now and summer, so I want to get it right because I will likely not want to do it again any time soon.

The question that I am now up to is the choice of heads.

Should I bolt on the stock 882 heads and see how she runs, or should I suck it up and get them before putting it all back together?

If I get new ones, with the TPI am I better off with Sportsman II/Torquers? or should I step it up to the AFR or 23 twisted wedge?

Basically this is a summer weekend car that will soon be more of a turn key cruiser. Not much in the way of racing (yet), but I've got too many local vette racers pushing me into it :D :D

So opinions??? Thanks
Old 02-11-2003, 10:40 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Another cylinder head question (phoenix)

Unless your going to run a modified TPI unit, there's not a whole lot of need for the really big heads. A stock TPI will normally have run out of steam by 5k, they have a small long runner that make great low to midrange torque and horsepower but will fail to take advantage of a good set of high RPM heads. A set of aluminum L-98 heads with some bigger valves and some cleanup work would probably be a good combination with that cam and be cheaper. Now if you start running an upgraded TPI unit with a lot more airflow potential then the skies the limit.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz

Quick Reply: Another cylinder head question