C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q-jet float question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:26 PM
jetech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q-jet float question

Which float is best to use, the brass or composite? Thanks for any help. :seeya
Old 02-11-2003, 10:39 PM
geezer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Q-jet float question (jetech)

Always go with the brass! The theory behind the plastic float was if the the float was made out of individual foam BB's that would float by themselves, then the float would never sink even if had a hole in it. In the real world they sank like Leo Decrapio in Titanic!!
Another thing to check. Put a straight edge across the main castings of the carb. More than likely they're warped. Caused by overtighening of the air cleaner. Sometimes doubling the gaskets (the thin ones only) will seal it up, but be SURE TO USE THE EXACT SAME TWO GASKETS!!! Or you'll block off a port.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:12 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Q-jet float question (geezer)

Lars... The forum expert would dis-agree on the float choice.. Find his paper at http://www.corvettefaq.com
Old 02-12-2003, 03:42 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: Q-jet float question (jetech)

I have had poor results with brass floats: They seldom hold the actual float level to the level designed with the NitroFill floats, and I have seen many problems with the brass floats hanging up and causing flooding issues. I know many people swear by the brass units, but I always use the stock NitroFill to assure correct fuel level settings. It is true that the NitroFill floats can become fuel-logged over time - this is the reason I always spend the few bucks for a new NitroFill float in every carb rebuild. But the NitroFills always perform correctly, and assure correct fuel float levels. I use the Echlin brand (NAPA) since these are identical to the stock Rochester units.

Get notified of new replies

To Q-jet float question

Quick Reply: Q-jet float question