C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a wiring for dummies book?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:36 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Is there a wiring for dummies book?

I am getting ready to stick the batery in the car and check the electrical system. There are still several wires that I have not identified yet. Is there a book that describes how to use a meter and trouble shoot? What kind of tools do you need, i.e. meter brand? Any other input is always very appreciated.
:cheers:
Old 02-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Is there a wiring for dummies book? (BlackRat)

Hey I would buy that book! Anyone recomend one? :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-11-2003, 11:36 AM
IETEK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know of any specific how to manuals although Radio Shack should sale something like this, if not there check @ Barnes&Noble. Most repair manuals (Haynes,Chiltons) have a brief description of how to use basic electrical tools. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Also most electrical trouble shooting on a car can be done with a test light, a meter is not that hard to use although it looks intimidating. The only things you should be interested in on your meter, working on a car are DC voltage and OHM's. With that said, think about electricity as water, the wires are pipes and the switches are valves water won't flow with the valves closed.
The OHM's portion of you meter measures resistance of a metal conductor with the power removed from the circuit you can check continuity of a wire(conductor) to determine if there is a cut wire or a wire that is grounded to a chassis ground .
As far as meter type, for simple automotive use get a digital meter they are easier to read than a analog meter for beginners. I saw Sears had a decent looking digital meter on sale for about $19.00 if you were going to use this to make a living with I would suggest something like a "FLUKE" but a cheapy should do just fine. As far as a test light get a decent one with long lead and a bulb that can be changed if it should burn out.
Although I have not bought one yet I saw you can purchase a laminated copy of a wiring diagram for your car (from ECKLER'S it was about $15.00) it will be a big help to have this. I would suggest making several copies of it so you can more readily trace wires on the actual diagram in pen or pencil if needed.

Good Luck IETEK :D

[Modified by IETEK, 4:43 PM 2/11/2003]
Old 02-11-2003, 02:00 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's one, but it ain't cheap.
http://www.delmarlearning.com/Browse...SBN=0766820998

I just bought a book at borders by these people that covers every thing in a car. It costs $100, but it looks like it's worth it. I think the title was "Auto repair a systems approach" it is a textbook for ASE techs.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:35 PM
ry
Racer

Default Re: Is there a wiring for dummies book? (72GACRZR)

i don't see why a book that costs no more then $5 to make, cost anywhere near that price. hell, my books for college this semester, was only $75! and that was over 600 pages! ill wait and DL it off the internet when its available
Old 02-11-2003, 04:05 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Is there a wiring for dummies book? (ry)

Wade,

You can't find the mentioned mystery wires on a wiring diagram for your year ?
They should be identify-able by the location and color.

Toss out some details - maybe our collective wisdom can overcome your
need to do electrical troubleshooting.

:seeya
Old 02-12-2003, 10:25 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Is there a wiring for dummies book? (NHvette)

NHvette,

I have been pulling my hair out over this wire for over a month now but can't find it on the wiring diagram. It is a thick orange wire that seems to be incorporated in with the power windows wiring harness. The end of it has an eye connector that is preety grungy like it had been under the hood. So I thought maybe it went through the firewall. Problem is it is only long enough to reach right where the wiper motor is when I run it through the hole that the tach cable and speedo cable go through. there are a couple of relays there but I have them hooked up already.

I did see a post yesterday where someone took a picture of the fuse panel and there was a thick orange wire plugged into the fuse panel that look just like I am describing. Any help is definately appreciated. :confused: :cheers:
Old 02-12-2003, 12:11 PM
IETEK
Advanced

sound like the power to the PW it plugs into the fuse panel to power the power windows it should go directly to the pw relay mounted in the console I don't have a drawing online or I would send you one. I will look at mine later on today and tell you exactly where it plugs in If I remember correctly it plugs in somewhere close to the fusible link for the PWR windows. It is a little silver thing that kinda resembles a relay pushed into a slot in the fuse panel in the upper left hand corner.

IETEK :D
Old 02-12-2003, 08:41 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Is there a wiring for dummies book? (IETEK)

Check out the wiring diagrams in this link. They may differ a little from your 71 but should give some help.
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/tune...l/index6.shtml

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a wiring for dummies book?

Quick Reply: Is there a wiring for dummies book?