C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SB oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default SB oil pan question

I am in the process of putting together my 69 350-350 block and need advice about a "proper" oil pan. I am looking to purchase a new pan, but don't want to pay for a NOS unit. Also, my mechanic says it should be painted black. I thought the 69 oil pan was painted engine orange like the rest of the block. Any comments???? Thanks.

Mark
Old 02-11-2003, 03:10 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SB oil pan question (Burgandy 69)

Agree that oil pan should be painted orange, if you want it like it came from factory in '69.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:29 PM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Jegs has a nice replacement pan for around $45. Already painted orange.
I didnt see it in their last catalog, but I can look up my receipt in you are interested.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: SB oil pan question (gary6696)

Thanks for the replies. Orange it is. Also, I would be interested to learn more about the Jegs pan. Thanks.

Mark
Old 02-11-2003, 06:55 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You can also get a pan from Summit. The part number for the Plain steel pan is SUM-G3500X and sells for $23.99. You can get an Orange Powdercoated pan, part # SUM-G3500P for $25.69. Both pans work with the stock oil pump and pickup and use the thick front seal oil pan gasket. I use the Chrome plated version on my 74 and it hasn't caused any problems since I installed it about 4 or 5 years ago.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:44 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: SB oil pan question (vettfixr)

I use the Chrome plated version on my 74 and it hasn't caused any problems since I installed it about 4 or 5 years ago.
You mean to tell me that somebody really has something chrome on thier Corvette that doesn't leak or loosen? :cool: :cheers:
Old 02-11-2003, 10:24 PM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a warning...
While having a shop turn my 350 shortblock into a 383:
I had purchased an aftermarket (el CHEEPO) chrome oil pan from either summit or jeg's.
I had the oil pickup welded to the correct depth. I put the motor in and assembled everything besides crank, cam, rods and bearings. I also installed the pan, timing chain cover etc.
After a couple of weeks, I noticed that she was using up oil.
I hunted around for the culprit and to make this long story shorter, I found a rather large ding in the bottom of the oil pan.

It seems that the "ball joint" where the steering relay rod and the dampner connect, would contact the oil pan when making tight right turns (or was it left?? its been so long ago, and I'm at work right now).
This wasn't just a lil' scrape, the pan had a nice sized dent. Only months later did I realize that the collisions between the pan and the steering had literally smashed the timingchain-oil pan seal to almost nothing. Plus the timing chain cover was literally bent!! Hence the oil leakage.

So I put in my old stock oil pan.
To this day, I don't know if its an issue with the oil pan from summit/ jeg's, or if my relay rod is crooked. (lets just tell my girlfriend the rod is crooked, and I'll join in on the steeroids group purchase ;) )

I'm just advising you to make sure you will clear things like your steering, and crank, etc.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:38 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: SB oil pan question ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I've had the pan on for quite a while and have had no contact at all with the steering linkage. I was also worried about the chrome pan and oil leaks but if you use the Fel Pro one piece neoprene gasket you'll get a good seal and won't have leaks. Just make sure you use the thick front seal and use a little silicone at the corners like they tell you. I've had more problems with valve cover leaks than the oil pan but solved them by going with studs instead of bolts for the valve covers and rubber seals.

Get notified of new replies

To SB oil pan question

Quick Reply: SB oil pan question