C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring...

I just picked up everything I need, except the exhaust wrap and marine grease, to install the rear spring.

I'm thinking of maybe wrapping the pipes that go underneath the footwells. Think this well help with cabin heat?

Also, I'm going to wrap the pipes that cross under the rear spring. Should I wrap the spring itself as well? Was thinking of the Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=2359

-Steve
Old 02-10-2003, 09:08 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring... (Pacin'California)

Dunno if that's a good idea. the wrap can trap moisture and the pipes rust out. Of curse that's a good reason to get a stainless system...
Old 02-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring... (zwede)

Good point. Sounds like it might be better to just try something around the rear spring and eventually upgrade the heat insulation in the footwell. Any tips?

Thanks very much. :)

-Steve
Old 02-10-2003, 09:38 PM
zwede
Race Director

Default Re: Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring... (Ed T)

Ed: Just wanted to say your undercarriage looks disgustingly good! :cool:
Old 02-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ed- Those are some great pictures. Your first one on the other post inspired me. How close do you think your pipe is there? It looks pretty close. Mine are about that close, I think, and I worry about heat.

Which part store do you usually frequent? Kragen had nothing of interest for me today. What should I ask for? The stuff you put on looks almost like insulation. (To my untrained eye, anyways...)

-Steve
Old 02-11-2003, 09:41 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring... (Pacin'California)

My ACe mechanic does not recommend using Thermo Tec wrap for vehicles used daily. In his opinion, it is for weekend racing use only.
It is a very effective product and retains heat so well that it causes thermal fatigue and failure of the the wrapped component such as headers. The higher the internal heat, the faster the failure. Althought this looks like rust, as per Markus' comment, it is really thermal fatigue.
If you want to wrap something, wrap the spring itself.
I have had a TRW rear spring installed for several years with only the metal heat shield and haven't had a problem.......
Old 02-11-2003, 10:39 AM
zwede
Race Director

Default Re: Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring... (flynhi)

My ACe mechanic does not recommend using Thermo Tec wrap for vehicles used daily. In his opinion, it is for weekend racing use only.
It is a very effective product and retains heat so well that it causes thermal fatigue and failure of the the wrapped component such as headers. The higher the internal heat, the faster the failure. Althought this looks like rust, as per Markus' comment, it is really thermal fatigue.
I've heard this also, but sofar my headers have been fine. I wrapped them 2 years ago and the car is a true daily driver, rain or shine. I have hooker supercomps and the tubes are thicker than cheap headers and are also coated inside and out. I think this helps greatly.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ed- One of these days, I'm going to have to come over to have dinner on your halfshafts. :)

Thanks for the help, everyone. The search for thermo-tec begins today. I am really unsure of how much exhaust clearance I have... Guess I'll have to get the measuring tape out when I'm under there.

I should have it done today, unless I decide the exhaust clearance is too little.

-Steve
Old 02-11-2003, 12:45 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I wrapped mine and the pipes are fine after two years, not a daily driver though. Don't think the trapped water idea holds up IMO, the heat would dry the wrap in a few seconds and since mine is stored inside, no moisture gets on it. After I wrapped mine I drove it to a gas station to fill up. When I shut it off it started to smoke, and I mean BIG TIME smoke. Thought the whole darn thing was on fire! :eek: Turned out the thermal wrap was 'burning in' and all was well. Took a few days to quit smoking/stinking so be aware of this and do not worry.

Get notified of new replies

To Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring...

Quick Reply: Gonna go a little crazy w/ exhaust wrap, also rear spring...