C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next project...What do I need to know

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Double_0_7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Next project...What do I need to know

I finally got that electrical problem fixed, so now the battery doesn't die when the car is off. Great feeling not re-doing the presets on my radio every time I get in. Anyway, last summer when I was driving regularly I decided to see what the car could do. I got it up over 100, but it felt loose and scared me into slowing down. I know it needs shocks. Other than the four shocks, what do I need to buy, and how hard is it to do?

Also related, the steering wheel feels really sloppy. Tons of play. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for this. And thanks to everyone with suggestions on the electrical problem.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Next project...What do I need to know (Double_0_7)

Sounds like you need some bushings and shocks. I think thats all I needed as well, but I went the distance when I had it all apart. New Springs, shocks, polyurethane bushings, cleaned up and painted all the frame supension pieces as I went. I would recommend you do to the same and get it all out of the way at one time.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Double_0_7
Pro

Default Re: Next project...What do I need to know (Zack Wenning)

How long did the job take? And was it physically difficult (i.e. heavy parts, hard to compress, etc.)?
Old 02-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Steering wheel:

Take a look at your steeringcolumn where it mates to the steering box. The rag joint should be in good condition. If that looks good, you can try tightening your steering box. corvettefaq.com has a how-to. If that doesn't work, rebuild the steering box.

[Modified by Chris@VetteFinders, 12:09 AM 2/11/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Gotta Fix my '76
Instructor

Hmm...Steering,
I read an article in a corvette mag about 8 months ago that talked about the "rag Joint" mentioned below...it is just infront of the steering box and it is two "shafts" connected and inbetween them is this rubbery pad thing...If this is detteriated then you need to replace it...It could potentially cause problems if not replaced, but the feeling is said to be real "loosey goosey"...I dunno, give it a look...Sometimes the result of a squirly car. And yes, I'd suggest a complete rebuild of the back end as well.

Good luck,
~Ian
Old 02-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Double_0_7
Pro

Default Re: Next project...What do I need to know (Gotta Fix my '76)

other than shocks, what's on the back end? Sorry for the stupid questions.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:55 PM
NorthVette
Racer

Not sure about the handling, but what was killing your batt??? This is a common subject witha shark...
Old 02-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Double_0_7
Pro

Default Re: Next project...What do I need to know (NorthVette)

the alternator was connected incorrectly. Both leads on the voltage regulator were tied to positive. It charged while the engine was running, but would kill the battery as soon as you shut the car off. Even though i knew that was wrong, I didn't know how it should have been. Now, one connector is to positive, the other is to nothing. I have to rev the engine over a certain RPM to get it to start charging, but i was told that was normal.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:13 AM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

In addition to inspecting the rag joint, I would crawl under it and wiggle everything - pitman, tie rods, idler arm, etc. Nothing should be loose. Then jack up each wheel and grab the tire firmly top and bottom and see if there is any play. If so - probably ball joints. If you get play side to side as well, tighten the bearing nuts - 12 pounds torque then back off to the first cotter hole.

If everything is tight from the rag joint down, you might have worn out bearings in your steering column.

BJs and coil springs are not for the faint of heart. The other things are pretty easy.

[Modified by gary6696, 5:14 AM 2/11/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Next project...What do I need to know

Quick Reply: Next project...What do I need to know