C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Toy

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default New Toy

A friend of mine bought this and never installed it - so he shipped it down to me to play with. It's a "Performance Timer" (ala G-tech) that instead of relying on an accelerometer, places magnets either on the driveshaft or the wheel of your vehicle.. so you get an accurate reading (provided you have no wheelspin on the wheel you install the sensor on.)

I mounted the sensor by welding a small section of the bracket they provide you with onto the steering knucle where it will sense the magnets, placed on the inside of the hub.. that way there's no risk of wheelspin like there is on the driveshaft.

I haven't been able to find this thing anywhere, and the manual has a copyright of 1984........
Old 02-10-2003, 03:49 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: New Toy (Ken73)

Isnt direct connection a mopar item?Let us know how it works out.i thought it was heres on on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10076

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 3:52 PM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: New Toy (patsnitrovette)

Isnt direct connection a mopar item?Let us know how it works out.
:bb

OKOK you caught me.. yea, it is a Mopar item.. but I can't find these things *anywhere* either...

Old 02-10-2003, 03:54 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

at least itll be more accurate then gtech maybe,look above i found one on ebay
Old 02-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

damn 210$ :eek:
Old 02-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Yea I just saw that after you posted it.. I've been searching on Google, can't seem to find anything on them. If it tells you anything, my friend sent the receipt with the unit, and he paid under $50 for the thing, brand new in 1991ish.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Well I fought and fought over getting the magnets aligned at 90 degrees, but just couldn't do it in the location required;

The studs and rivets are in the way, preventing me from mounting the magnets flush and at 90 degree angles from each other. That's when I figured out that the computer doesn't care how many magnets you use (you can put 2 on the driveshaft, or four on the wheel.) So I had some other magnets laying around that were fairly identical in size/strength and I put five of them equally spaced inside the hub. I believe the extra magnets will actually be a little more accurate as they represent a portion of the circumference on the wheel itself.

Is there any interest in a performance meter like this - or better yet, one integrated into my carb tuning program?

Get notified of new replies

To New Toy

Quick Reply: New Toy