C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cause of Drained Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 01:33 PM
StingRay327
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cause of Drained Battery?

I went to start my vette yesterday but the battery was completely dead. I had it out runnin excellent a coulple of weeks ago and it has never gone dead on me before. I have a brand new alternator that works excellent and a brand new die-hard gold. I never left the key on or anything like that.

Is it possilbe that there's something there drawing the juice now? Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 01:44 PM
TJRed76
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cause of Drained Battery? (StingRay327)

My 76 has this problem. I have it narrowed down to the fact that the ignition switch (where the key goes) is worn out. I can turn this when the key is not in sometimes. If the steering wheel is not locked, and I pull the key, my battery drains. So I think my problem is in the column or the switch.
good luck.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:52 PM
StingRay327
Instructor

Default Re: Cause of Drained Battery? (TJRed76)

Thanks... I'll have to check it out.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:56 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

A common cause is the interior light delay box, if your car has one.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:57 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure it's a dead battery. It could be a bad connection not allowing full juice to go to your starter.

If it is that everything is dead- It could be your "new" alternator that has a problem with maybe a shorted diode.

If you still have a problem, you can hook up an ammeter (DMM on 10A or 2A scale) from your battery V- terminal to the disconnected negative cable and check the reading-after you charged up your battery.

If there is more than a 100 milliamps ballpark of current draw, you have something pulling current. You can start to pull fuses to see what circuit you can trace the draw to.

I have also heard of problems with the interior light timer relay box located behind the glove box area overheating-deforming-going bad and causing strange problems like this.

Good Luck

Brent...
Old 02-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't omit the battery as a problem.. I had three BAD die hards in six months. All of them had bad cells. A battery that alway shows a high charge rate is telling you that it is going bad. An alternator that charges all of the time will destroy the battery too.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 1:58 PM 2/10/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Cause of Drained Battery?

Quick Reply: Cause of Drained Battery?