C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For you guys with BB's aftremarket TBI or EFI.. Whats the better component

Old 02-10-2003, 09:02 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For you guys with BB's aftremarket TBI or EFI.. Whats the better component

I have a oval port 502, and Im seriuosly looking about getting a Edelbrock or Holley TBI or EFI sytem

Who is running them, and what are your thoughts. Yes, one has an injector for ech cylinder,the other almost has a carb typeset up without an injecor for each cylinder

Go for it guys.......
Old 02-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Harry74
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: For you guys with BB's aftremarket TBI or EFI.. Whats the better component (MELVIN)

Melvin,

How the heck you been buddy! I'll drop me 2 cents worth, even though my experiance is with the small block. The big advanatges to the Edelbrock system are; 1) sequential port injection means that the right amount of fuel is being dumped into each cyclinder _only_ when needed, plus since you do not have to deal with air/fuel movement the manifold is less of a compromise, 2) again because of the port injection you never have to deal with fuel "pooling" in the manifold, hence both hot and cold starts are a lot easier, 3) the little handheld control module for the edelbrock beats the crap out of having to hook up a computer to tune the unit.

Those were the main issues that made me choose the edelbrock. If you choose to go that route let me know.

-harry

Those were the
Old 02-10-2003, 09:52 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: For you guys with BB's aftremarket TBI or EFI.. Whats the better component (MELVIN)

Melvin,
Check out: http://www.kinsler.com
They explain the differences, advantages and disadvantages of each type of Fuel Injection.....it's a pretty good site.......
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 02-10-2003, 11:07 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Default Re: For you guys with BB's aftremarket TBI or EFI.. Whats the better component (MassVette)

Fellas, Im getting closer, but. Can I run my oruginal points type coil and distributor on either?
Old 02-10-2003, 12:18 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Hey Melvin,

I have the commander 950 on my 454. The difference between edelbrock and cmdr 950 is that the 950 is a much newer design. The HW was designed in 2000, where the edelbrock dates back to '94. The edelbrock uses EPROM chips, and the 950 uses a flash-prom. With edelbrock you have to send your engine specs to edelbrock and they burn you a EPROM. If you change your engine you have to have a different chip. The 950 is completely tuneable via laptop, no chips. The edelbrock has a handheld programmer box that lets you fine tune, but the basic calibration is on the EPROM.

Also, the edelbrock has some limitations. It will not run closed loop below 1800 rpm. Also, according to this guy:

http://www.sonic.net/~mikebr/efi/main.html

... several things are broken in the edelbrock firmware/hardware, including the main selling point: the sequential injection.

You can use a points distributor with the 950. Don't know why you would want to though. Just go to the junkyard and get any Chevy small cap HEI. It interfaces with the 950 and you can set everything timing related. All the curves, advance while cranking, etc. Any GM V8 truck from 87-95 had this distributor, and all GM V8 cars 87-91.

Take a look at my website for more info...

Old 02-10-2003, 12:22 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Default Re: For you guys with BB's aftremarket TBI or EFI.. Whats the better component (MassVette)

1. I want to use my old points style coil/Distros, as I dont feel like spending 500 on a HEI that has tach drive (I have a 68) . My petronix works fine, and I want to keep my original type tach drive distro
Old 02-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Harry74
Drifting

Melvin,

You can use your original tachdrive distributor and coil with the Edelbrock system, here is a link to a picture I posted a couple of years ago when I installed the Pro-Flo in my '74. http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/harr...n/DistFull.jpg

The yellow arrows show where you have to do a small amount of dremel work to clear the pickup plate.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on the system, it has been running flawlessly on my car for 2 years now.

Best regards,
-harry

Get notified of new replies

To For you guys with BB's aftremarket TBI or EFI.. Whats the better component

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For you guys with BB's aftremarket TBI or EFI.. Whats the better component