C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I do love my Vette but....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Well, I do love my Vette but....

I just got back from a spirited drive in the hills with my 70 Z28 and I must say that, given the choice between the 2 cars FOR THAT DRIVE, I'd have to go with the Z28. It's a close call but still a no-doubter. Pumped 355 w/ a close ratio Muncie & 4.10 rear gears, some suspension mods makes for some great driving on the up & down twisties. It's like a breath of fresh air w/ a jolt of caffeine thrown in!

The only downside is some of the idiots that want to challenge me. I was back down on city streets in cruise mode when this A hole in a new Ford pickup thought he'd prove something by whipping around me and some other cars under full throttle while looking back at me over his shoulder as if to say he'd proven something on behalf of Ford- I wonder if he had a clue that I was barely cracking the throttle??? What a dolt. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was curious if any of you folks had other toys that stir your soul like your Vette(s) do. I threw the plural in there for guys like Chuck Harmon who may have more than one of em. :cheers:
Old 02-09-2003, 08:51 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Les)

I have a 89 355 nitrous mustang that is a blast to drive. Untill I put the cage in it my wife would take the mustang as quickly as the vet. She just doesn't like climbing over the side bar in the mustang so we take the vet instead.
Shot of the stereo and rollcage in the mustang.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (norvalwilhelm)

Norval,
That looks like a sweet ride- I assume that's a bored & stroked 5.0 you've got. As light as they are, I'm wondering how you find traction when hitting the nitrous??? By the way, nice move putting the cage in- if my wife wants to start driving my toys I'll keep that in mind. ;)
Old 02-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see pics of your 70 Z28, I always liked those!
I'd post a pic of my mountain bike, but thats not very exciting, I guess I'm lucky enough to have one toy! Most college students could only dream of having a vette like mine! :D
Old 02-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Even though I only have one 'vette, I've driven quite a few cars that I find enjoyable...

Jaguar XKE, BMW M3 are two very fun cars that I'd like. I've never driven an early F-body that's been built for handling like yours. I drove a 68 firebird 400 that couldn't hold a candle to my 'vette in a corner. I also really love the new 'vettes up in the twisties.

The M3 is the only car I've ever driven that could compare to a 'vette in the twisties. The XKE just had a neat powerband...

Hey Les- maybe if you switch over to an all aluminum big block, and start tweaking the suspension, you'd think twice about it. ;) Is there an evil seed in you somewhere?

-Steve
Old 02-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Zack Wenning)

Zack,
Your mountain bike may not be much visually but I think it definitely qualifies in the soul stirring category. And yes, you're a very lucky guy to have a nice Vette at your stage in life :thumbs:
I'm hoping this will work- I'll try to attach a pic of the Z...
Old 02-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Pacin'California)

Steve,
Good to see you pop up here! You've listed some pretty interesting cars. I'm not a big BMW or Porsche fan but I would like to wring out the M3 some time.
As for the aluminum BB- great idea! Just let me know when you'll finance the venture for me & I'll be ready to go. I'll be waiting to hear from you ;) In the meantime I'll have to settle for the new cam & working the heads over. :cheers:
Old 02-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Mmmm... orange with white stripes.

I wanna see that car in person.

How come you have so many nice toys? We really need to have another GTG one of these days. My 'vette's starting to shape up... things move quickly! New springs all around soon enough.

Tell ya what, I'll put $1 in the pot, and we'll see if the rest of the forum does the same. :)

-Steve
Old 02-09-2003, 11:56 PM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Pacin'California)

Mmmm... orange with white stripes.

I wanna see that car in person.

How come you have so many nice toys? We really need to have another GTG one of these days. My 'vette's starting to shape up... things move quickly! New springs all around soon enough.

Tell ya what, I'll put $1 in the pot, and we'll see if the rest of the forum does the same. :)

-Steve
I'd love to hook up w/ you & the guys again. The weather should be predictable in another coupla months, so no excuses for not doing it. Besides, I wanna see your upgrades!

As for my toys, now you've seen both of em. If you looked in my closet you'd know I sure don't spend my money on clothes- it goes to the family & my toys, in that order. Some day I'll get my priorities straight & reverse those two ;)

Hey, at $1 a pop this fund could take awhile to grow, huh???
:lol:
Old 02-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyway, I was curious if any of you folks had other toys that stir your soul like your Vette(s) do. I threw the plural in there for guys like Chuck Harmon who may have more than one of em. :cheers:
Les,

It was a gorgeous day today! I too had a stirring ride in a red vehicle with chrome wheels and 7 seats. My Leslie's Chrysler mini van pulled some serious g's on the way to church this morning. I really worked those tires on the off ramp to make the light at the bottom. To reduce body roll, I had all my girls move to the right side of the bus, I mean car. The slush action of the gear box was a perfect match for the less than instantaneous throttle response after the bus, I mean car, settled back into a straight line attitude while racing for the next light. You guys should have been there! :thumbs:

Chuck
Old 02-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Chuck Harmon)

I've been meaning to ask you about that bad MFer in the driveway. Mopar, ain't it? Does it have the Hemi 6?

I know I've been curious about the L-88, but it's only because I've been using it as a gateway to the Mopar.

Town and Country, they say? Ha! More like Street and Strip!

I drove my grandma's Acura last night. That RL is an amazing beast. RL stands for Radical Luxury. The body roll in the corner lets you know exactly what degree of the car's limits you are at. 100% is achieveable with a quick thrust of the steering wheel. It's got nice loud tires that tell you when you're pushing it remotely hard, and traction control to keep those 220 horses in line!

We are bad boys to the bone... One of these days, Chuck, we'll have to take the RL and the T&C to Laguna and pull some 1m20s times... show the C5R who's boss.

-Steve
Old 02-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck,
All I can say is- Awesome dude!!!! I'll bet the family was praying to God before you guys even got to church! Way to set the example, my man! I'll bet the others in the church parking lot were jealous when you pulled in & they could hear your whole family screaming "Oh God".
Old 02-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Nice Z28!!!!!!! I like it!!! I knew a guy who had a '69 with almost the exact same paint scheme, it was a nice car but I like yours better. You just don't see as many of the 70-72 body style camaros out there anymore.
I wish I could have ridden with you on those twisties!!
:cheers:
Old 02-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Zack Wenning)

Zach,
Thanks for the good words bud. I'm sure you can carve corners at least as well w/ your smallblock Vette- especially w/ those nice tires & rims. I'll try to post another small pic here- it's of my Z next to a very good buddy's 69 Z28. It was taken many years ago on the back side of my first & oh so humble little house. He has since sold his under pressure from his wife.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Harry74
Drifting

Les,

I still crave another 1st gen Firebird, but I guess that will have to wait till I put one more child thru college. For the time being the '74 and my 15.5' Cape Lookout sea kayak will have to hold me over.

-harry
Old 02-10-2003, 05:10 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Zach,
Thanks for the good words bud. I'm sure you can carve corners at least as well w/ your smallblock Vette- especially w/ those nice tires & rims. I'll try to post another small pic here- it's of my Z next to a very good buddy's 69 Z28. It was taken many years ago on the back side of my first & oh so humble little house. He has since sold his under pressure from his wife.
Nice Camaro, Les.

It reminds me of days past. I had a 72 Camaro with the split front chrome
bumpers. She had a 327 vette motor and auto tranny with full racing shift kit.
I could take that baby up to 70, pop her into neutral - floor it - pop into drive
and brake the rear end loose with a big squeal. I miss her.

What is it that we say: " I wish I never sold that car ..." :cry

:seeya
Old 02-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Harry74)

I sold my Firebird to get the vette....The firebird was fast but it would not stop and did not like to turn :lol: ........It was a 67 Vert

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Well, I do love my Vette but....

Old 02-10-2003, 05:40 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Les, beautiful Z ya got there.

Here's my other fun toy:

OK, its the one on the left! ;) Only because I wanted a backseat to put my kid in when cruising. ;)
-terry
Old 02-10-2003, 05:47 PM
HDIronman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the other toys. I've had this one for longer than I've had the
69 vert. Don't think I'll ever part with either one of them. Until two years ago I also had a 98 Fat Boy, and a 72 Pewter Silver Coupe that was stolen. I know that one day we will be together again.
:party:

I'v had thoughts about having the 69 vert painted to match the bike.

[Modified by HDIronman, 6:16 PM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Harry74
Drifting

Default Re: Well, I do love my Vette but.... (Alwyn678)

Geez,

Nice Toy ! ! ! ! Mine looked almost exactly like that :D , only difference was mine was the light blue metallic. I got rear ended hard one day and that was all she wrote, darn unibodies! :mad

I have looked at three of them over the last few years. I even went so far as to run a PHS search on one of them, but alas none of them were real 400 cars. If I could ever find a really nice one I would consider doing a straight up trade for my vette.

Drive on,
-harry

Quick Reply: Well, I do love my Vette but....