C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding axle ratio on "78"

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 07:06 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Finding axle ratio on "78"

I'm trying to find out my axle ratio and I know from what I'm reading the markings are located on the bottom surface of the carrier at the cover mounting flange. My question just where exactly am I looking? From the back drivers side passenger side how high do I have to have the car to see it, do I have to remove anything to see it?
I looked today but I wasn't real sure exactly where to find it. HELP!
:cheers:
Old 02-09-2003, 07:20 PM
geezer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finding axle ratio on "78" (guppie)

Forget numbers........those gears could have been changed. Here's what you do. Raise up the car and put at least the rear on stands. Put a chaulk mark on the drive shaft and one on one rear tire. Now rotate the tire one revolution and count how many revolutions of the drive shaft. Take a guess at the % of the partial rotation the last time the drive shaft goes around. If it comes out to about 3-3/4 turns, you've probably 3.73's. Almost 3 turns you probaly have 2.92(?)'s or such. Have a Vette Black Book handy to look up ratios available for your year. Good luck and be safe! :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Finding axle ratio on "78"