C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this rear spring look ready to install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Does this rear spring look ready to install?

I am not sure... I got this from clutchdust. Brand is unknown. I got VB&P's pads and spacers on there. Does it look like it's ready to install?

-Steve
Old 02-10-2003, 03:43 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Does this rear spring look ready to install? (Pacin'California)

hey steve! what is that pad made of? to me, it looks good but i'd be curious to know what the overall height is supposed to be versus what you have now. i dont suppose it would make that much difference as long as it's close :confused: i'm assuming VB took that into consideration when they sold you the stuff
let me know how it turns out and what difference you feel. i'm still looking for a 300# or 330# for mine. :cheers:

[Modified by clutchdust, 12:44 AM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 04:16 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: Does this rear spring look ready to install? (Pacin'California)

Pacin'California,

Before you install the spring I would determine who the manufacturer is. For example, my composite spring is a TRW type from Muskegon Brake. They have specific installation instructions concerning measurements on the spring to the center pad, and there are specific parts (heat shield) that must be installed to maintain proper spacing.

The consequences of a mistake here are not trivial. Right now you don't know if you have all the required parts(spacers and shims), and you don't know the torque settings, or the torque sequence, for the attachment bolts into the differential carrier.

Are you sure the spring is the proper one for your car? I believe the composite springs (not withstanding different spring rates) are different for 1963-77 / 1978-79 / 1980-82 cars. Do you have the bolt kit that came with the spring?

Do you know the spring rate of this particular spring. Given the options on your car, and your intended use of the car, that spring might be inappropriate for you.

Find out exactly what you have before installing the spring - make sure you have all the correct parts - and the installation instructions. A little research will pay off - Good Luck.

[Modified by mapman, 3:18 AM 2/10/2003]

[Modified by mapman, 3:19 AM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 04:21 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Does this rear spring look ready to install? (mapman)

It definitely does not look like the VB&Ps I've seen, as the center looks like bare glass. However, it's the same thickness at the center as the VBP spring, so I mimicked the VBP pad formation.

It's rated at 360#s, which is perfect to go with my 550 lb front springs. I received the spring from Clutchdust, and only got the bare spring, nothing else.

The spring measured 2 1/4" wide, so I put the steel shims in on either side which increased thickness to 2 1/2". It looks like it's "ready to go in". I was just going to reuse the plates on the car. I have 8" bolts to go in with the current spring, hopefully allowing me to lower it.

This combination will eventually mimic the 2nd level handling package VB&P offers, I just need to get new shocks and the rear smart struts.

I've told you about all I know... which is not much.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

BTW, the spring was almost free, so I'm not too afraid of catastrophic error. If all else fails, I can drive to the local Corvette shop and pick up a new spring from VBP.

-Steve

PS Clutchdust- I'm fairly confident everything will work at this stage in the junction, I'll let you know as soon as it's in! :)

Get notified of new replies

To Does this rear spring look ready to install?

Quick Reply: Does this rear spring look ready to install?