C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 Gauge Bezel Removal & Installation - Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 01:40 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default 1975 Gauge Bezel Removal & Installation - Tricks?

I have a 75 covertible and was trying to remove the the center gauge bezel to replace a burnt dash lite and it BROKE in 2 pieces (right above the gauges and below the the vent) I pieced it back together (it seemed to have a really TIGHT fit) and ordered a new one at a pop of $150 (included shipping). Anyway, I don't want to do the same to the new one....any ideas or tricks that I can use to replace the new one? This was a very expensive light bulb!!!

Also, how do you remove the gauges from the bezel? I saw a bunch of wires and I know I will have to identify each one before removal...but how do you remove the actual gauges?/?????

:confused: :smash:
Old 02-09-2003, 02:37 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1975 Gauge Bezel Removal & Installation - Tricks? (vetteguy75)

If it's like the early sharks then the gauges are screwed to the bezel from the backside. You have to remove the whole bezel with gauges, swap the gauges into the new panel, the re-install as an assembly.
As I recall you have to remove bezel screws that are visable from the interior that go into the side dash panels. There are also a couple holding the vent and wiper controls on that have to go I think. These are all readily accessable. Then there are two spanner type nuts under the console where it meets the bezel. they have to be removed or at least loosened (I think they are slotted for easier removal. To access and remove the bezel I think I removed the lower small panels forward of the console and the pass side dash insert. The wires are pretty self explanitory as they only plug in one spot and the bulb holes are labeled by color. The gray wires are always interior illmination. If you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge the tube must be removed (and don't start the car while it's removed!).
I may have missed a step here but from memory this is what is involved. The worse part for me was the spanner nuts.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:45 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Re: 1975 Gauge Bezel Removal & Installation - Tricks? (lbell101)

Thanks for the help for the gauge removal...it was very helpful!

Did you find, after removing the all the hardware to remove the bezel from the dash, that it was difficult to come out of the dash?

I found it to be quite hard to do....that's when the bezel broke..... :jester
Old 02-09-2003, 10:55 PM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1975 Gauge Bezel Removal & Installation - Tricks? (vetteguy75)

It should slide out with little effort.I also removed the right lower dash pad and this helped.The hardest part for me was installing the top vent.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Gauge Bezel Removal & Installation - Tricks?

Quick Reply: 1975 Gauge Bezel Removal & Installation - Tricks?