C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI Cold air idea - Will this work???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 09:51 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default TPI Cold air idea - Will this work???

The juckyard gave me this broken C-4 air cleaner housing to test and fit on the C-3. Looks like it might work. For you guys running MAF's it looks pretty close. In the pic you will notice it sits pretty high, I have a thick foam seal under it to prevent air from circulating over the radiator. What do you think?
Old 02-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work??? (Budman78)

Actually had thought of mentioning that to someone in a topic where he said that he needed to do something on the intake, however he was not asking for ideas. Looks like a good idea- give it a shot.

:cool:
Old 02-09-2003, 10:10 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Bud,

That's exactly what I was thinking for an EFI setup, especially if I went with TPI. I had no idea there was anything so low and flat in existance. What year of C4 is that from? I need to pay more attention to the C4's at the Vette shows! :lol: :lol:

That looks like it'll be a Ram air setup, look cool and probably work better! :cool:

To do what you have in your picture, I am even willing to create a custom hood bulge that continued over the top of the radiator. But keep in mind I'm going to Carlisle this year to see 81Vettom's full tilt package and look into implementing a full tilt front and glass my hood to the front clip.

Oh yeah, back to today . . . time to find another car! :mad
Old 02-09-2003, 10:11 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work??? (74-Roadster)

Buddy will the hood close?If it works thats a great idea,save time from cutting rad support and adapting c5 design.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work??? (patsnitrovette)

Not sure if the hood will close or open all the way. I will test at a later time. Can you do me a favor and measure the distance fron the tip of the hood to the condensor when the hood is open.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:55 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

when i get home i can,ive been at work all weekend,lots of snow so i have to be here fixing the trucks and plows. :sad: but lots of mod money :D i can barely open my hood all the way with the 3 inch round duct right now but ill be oveling it so i can.

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 10:56 AM 2/9/2003]
Old 02-09-2003, 10:59 AM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work??? (74-Roadster)

Glenn, why wouldn't a Cowl Induction style work from the rear? seemed to work for the old Camaros.

At least you wouldn't interfere with the cooling capacity by not blocking the radiator and condensor with the wide area coverage I see in the photo. It would also seem to be a lot better quality of air coming off of the cowl verses the hot air from underhood or being picked up off of the road.

I didn't say it would work..........but it's a thought! Jim

Old 02-09-2003, 11:03 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bud, I think you will need a BB hood to get the clearance you need.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:24 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work??? (flynhi)

That wouldn't work down here in Arizona. First off, the air that comes up from the ground in the summer is in the 140-150 degree range. Second, it blocks WAAAAY too much of the radiator.

I like the idea of a BB or other custom hood with cowl induction or other air inlets.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:26 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work??? (BSeery)

Seems like I saw a Vette with a single NASA style duct inlaid into the hood bulge of a '79 with TPI that looked very good. The duct was open in the rear with a screen. Then a small air box was attached to the TPI that sealed against the rear of the duct when the hood was down.

I realize that this would not be rain friendly at all, but an alternate supply could be used and the outside supply duct could be closed from the hood.

If anyone needs the under the hood,over the radiator air duct from my '80 or I will not be needing it. It does fit under the hood of a C-3 and has two hose exits from it. It could be made to attach to an air box much like the one described above for the auxillary air supply and does use oval hoses.

One other thing, didn't an '82 use a cowl induction air supply from the rear to the front of the Crossfire that had an operable door to supply air to the air box? Would it work? JIM

Old 02-09-2003, 04:28 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work??? (PROSOUTH)

Hi Jim, I'd like to take you up on the offer of your late C3 cold air collector. How much can I pay you for it?
will_shepherd@hotmail.com
Old 02-09-2003, 07:04 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work??? (flynhi)

Will, what about $10 shipped for the duct?

Did the Oil Cooler I sent you work out? I meant to drop a line and see if it did or not. JIM :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To TPI Cold air idea - Will this work???

Quick Reply: TPI Cold air idea - Will this work???