C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuild power steering cylinder and control valve?

Old 02-09-2003, 12:08 AM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild power steering cylinder and control valve?

i got out my cylinder and control valve and just woundering if and what problums im gonna encounter doing the rebuild kits i got from mid america. thanks for the help :steering:
Old 02-09-2003, 01:47 AM
Tron79
Intermediate

Default Re: rebuild power steering cylinder and control valve? (gravismaximus)

Hey Gravis,
I found this "how to" link very helpful. Take a look when you have a chance.
http://zip-corvette.com/psr.htm
Old 02-09-2003, 06:47 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

I did my 78 a couple of years ago and it was a nice project meaning very rewarding. I believe the most challenging task was removing the pittman arm from the ball...need the right tool...the big fork!

The next challenge is to balance the control valve once installation is complete. I wouldn't do this without a shop manual that outlines each specific task...invaluable.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:53 AM
gravismaximus
Racer

Default Re: rebuild power steering cylinder and control valve? (hunt4cleanair)

i found that out when i tried getting it off a couple of days ago, mine is still on there, i tried using a 2-arm gear puller, and a adjustable pitman arm puller. it just wont budge. so i got out the tourches and the hammer, heated it up and gave it a couple of taps and it still sits there on my car and :lol: at me. wow its really stuck, so i cheated and just removed the other end of the pitman after i went to work the next day and got my tie-rod seperator. i wish i could have gotton the pitman arm off just to free it up some from the years its been sitting there. and thanks for the links :party:
Old 02-09-2003, 07:47 PM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

does that rebuild kit come with the actual shaft??? i have one that i had to replace because i could not find any place that sold the shafts.......!!!!

Rod :cool:
Old 02-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: rebuild power steering cylinder and control valve? (LATNC3)

My personal experience with the control valve rebuild kit was not good. I bought the rebuild kit from (forum vendor) and the instructions were crap. A barely legible photocopy. I hit the forum for help. After rebuilding, installing finding it leaked like crazy, removing, rebuilding, re-installing, leaking even more....I pulled the friggin thing off, drove 1 hour to Bairs, purchased rebuilt/calibrated unit, installed and have had no leaks.
My advice is to pay the money and get the rebuilt unit. I wish I had done it from the get go.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

I had also problems to remove the pitman arm. At last I tried to warm the arm with a tourch and the cooling the shaft with compressed air. It worked!

It can be tricky to find the right order to assemble all the small parts in the control valve. The best chart I've found so far is "Control Valve Overhaul Instructions #5 - courtesy Jim Shea" on http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq and http://www.zip-corvette.com/controlvalve.htm

Good luck! :steering:

[Modified by Lasse, 7:01 PM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 01:01 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just know that the cylinder shaft and piston does not come out of or apart from the cylinder, it's welded from the factory, so all you are doing is installing new shaft seals on the cylinder. If the cylinder shaft from you car is bent, has grooves or is pitted from rust, you may have to just get a new cylinder assembly.

Get notified of new replies

To rebuild power steering cylinder and control valve?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rebuild power steering cylinder and control valve?