C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you pay for this 70 convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:07 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Update: What Sammyb paid for this 70 convertible...

Here's the update to say what I actually got it for!

First the original (then I added the final amount)---
Okay, so I bought another one! :) Needless to say, the wife ain't happy, but I promised that while I'm buying now, I'll sell one of the stable ASAP (haven't decided which one.)

Here's the skinny: 1970 Convertible, power steering, power brakes, leather interior, 350/350hp, originally a 4-speed -- now a Richmond 6 speed. White exterior, black interior and top. Engine has numbers matching block and waterpump, Edelbrock manifold and carb, and aluminum Airtech Research Technology heads(did I get the name right, I'm tired, so it's something like that.) (Sam adds: It's "Airflow Research" ...plus the car has tilt/tele, shoulder strap belts, and I'll look to see if I can access the tank sticker today.)

The car has great chrome, paint could use a good cleaning and polishing out where someone recently keyed it (but it's not that deep, so on the white paint it should come out.) Interior is just messy, but leather seats are great. Car was recently broken into, and the crooks punched out the passenger lock cylinder, then sliced the top (which was otherwise in awesome condition) and stole the really nice stereo. (Which required cutting the radio panel :mad ) Runs icky right now, but my buddy (a Corvette expert) said it's nothing more than new plug wires and lean out the carburetion mixture.

So what would you have paid? (Be honest, since if my wife puts up too much of a fight, I might have to resell this one, and if I paid too much or too little, that could sway things.)

here's a pic:

So what did I pay? The car was listed on Collectorcartrader.com (or whatever the site is) for $12K. After the car got broken into, he told me that he would drop it to $10K saying that it should be more than enough to fix the damage. I stuck $7500 cash in front of his face, and after he said "$7,800" and I said no, he said "$7,600" and I said no...he said "ok, I'll take $7,500."

Which is why I bought it, even though I don't have space for it, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Heck, I didn't even drive it before I handed him the cash (I had my buddy Bret, the mechanic, drive it to listen and feel for issues.)

So that's the deal. Today is washing, cleaning, polishing and detective work day on it! (I love that first day with a new classic :) )

as always,
Sam

[Modified by sammyb, 11:23 AM 2/9/2003]
Old 02-08-2003, 11:11 PM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04
Default Re: What would you pay for this 70 convertible? (sammyb)

I'd be glad to find one like that for under $15k, assuming no rust.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:20 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Sam,

Looks like another nice car to add to your collection. I'm not sure how you could think of which one of the other 3 to get rid of!! :D

Anyway it is "Airflow Research" heads. (AFR). Those are very good heads (at least the ones I'm familiar with in the Ford camp).

Mid-teens is a good price probably considering the good condition, and just very minor things you can fix to make it near perfect.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:26 PM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like our cars are nearly identical (apart from year). Of course if MY wife finds out that you paid less than what I paid, then I'm afraid I'm in for a real butt kicking :lol:

I'm not an official valuer, but I'd say $18k - $20K????

BTW Nice garage!
Old 02-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

A car in the condition you described should be 12-15K, but knowing what you paid for your other car, I'm betting you are going to tell us you got it for 5-6K! Considering how depressed your part of the country is, there are probably a lot of people dumping toys for half what they paid for them.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:30 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What would you pay for this 70 convertible? (standup)

Yes, Airflow Research (AFR) that's it!

No rust! I learned in my first classic purchase (1968 Triumph TR-250) that rust is a deal-breaker.

The funny thing is that the owner of this car had junk all over the interior! I mean, no points for presentation. The car was dirty inside and out. It'll be interesting what the car looks like tomorrow afternoon, once I'm done cleaning it up.

Thanks for the compliment on the garage, of course, as you can see, I'm out of room, which is why one must go (and not the C5, because that's the daily transport.)
Old 02-08-2003, 11:30 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: What would you pay for this 70 convertible? (gary6696)

I'd be glad to find one like that for under $15k, assuming no rust.
:withstupid:
Old 02-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You can squeeze one more 'vette in there, I'd hate to see you get rid of any of the cars. Just use a little creative parking, the Porsche is small enough that you should be able to park it in between two of the 'vettes.
Another thought is a 4 post lift or maybe 3 of them, then you'll have room for 6 cars in there! :D
You have a nice collection, I am very jealous! :sad: I wish they were mine.
Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2003, 12:57 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

So... what did you pay? End the suspense! I'll be the pessimist in the group and say that $11K might be a good price given the economy today. I'm actually building up my $$$ to see if I can't put another C-3 in my garage if it keeps going the way it is.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:09 AM
spica 7
Heel & Toe

I would pay no more than $15-$20k for a 70-72 vette in good condition.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:44 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: What would you pay for this 70 convertible? (spica 7)

I'm with Smokehouse and would have to say for what you describe $15k is on the high side. $12k seems like a great buy for the car considering the rework to get it back to show status. I want one!
Old 02-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: What would you pay for this 70 convertible? (hunt4cleanair)

Looks awefully familiar to something I have in my garage. I got the hardtop with mine too. If I were you I would probably have to get rid of the red car. Farfromgroovin. I am a corvette type guy.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:43 AM
HDIronman
Pro

Default Re: What would you pay for this 70 convertible? (hunt4cleanair)

I'm with Smokehouse and would have to say for what you describe $15k is on the high side. $12k seems like a great buy for the car considering the rework to get it back to show status. I want one!
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To What would you pay for this 70 convertible?

Quick Reply: What would you pay for this 70 convertible?