C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:00 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out?

My car is having a starting problem. I do not have headers, the battery always registers 12.5 volts at start up. THe car cranks slow then starts. Is the sillinoid not giving power to the starter properly or is the starter shot. I would bet it is the original starter, (everything else I have replaced was)! How do I determine which is the culperate. If it is the starter should I go GM parts or just get one from a local parts shop?
Old 02-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

Default Re: How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out? (TJKirby82CE)

The solenoid pushes the starter gear into the flywheel and at the same time makes an electrical connection to the starter so it'll start spinnin.

Based on what you wrote I would say your starter is the problem. When I last replaced mine I went to a local auto store.

Also, if you are gonna replace the starter, while you're down there you might as well replace the solenoid. Best to replace them both as the same time (especially if they are years old).

One other thing to consider... how old is your battery. My experience with starters is that when they go they die. I know you said your battery is at 12.5 volts, but it can be weak and still show good voltage. Just a thought.

Good luck... :cheers:
Old 02-08-2003, 11:37 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out? (TJKirby82CE)

Before you condemn the starter, check/clean all the connections, especially at the battery. One of the most common "slow start" causes is corrosion on the cables - it adds resistance to the circuit, and so your starter doesn't get full power.

If that doesn't work, I'd get the battery load tested.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:55 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

:withstupid:

Well said above, I ususally consider a weak battery to be the cause of a slow start and it is much easier to check the battery before pulling the starter.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:38 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out? (PatG)

THanks guys. So how do I check the battery? I have a digital volt meter. Cables are clean at the battery connnection and the battery is only 2 1/2 years old.-TK
Old 02-10-2003, 12:45 PM
1yy07
Racer

if it is the oem starter have it REBUILT. :smash:
Old 02-10-2003, 08:35 PM
spikezz4
Pro

Don't forgot, while you are under there, to clean then tighten the battery ground wire on the frame. Let the electrons flow resistance free.
Spike
Old 02-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Double_0_7
Pro

Default Re: How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out? (1yy07)

Not on a vette, but on my dad's 94 Astro. It had a slow start, at first it would barely turn at all. For us, it was the starter not the battery, but we eventually found out that something was leaking on the starter, corroding the conections and stuff. But the starter was actually ruined, not cleanable. We never fixed it, so I don't know what he would have done. But the van did it's service and was a credit to the Chevrolet nameplate. 229,000 miles. :chevy
Old 02-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to have your battery discharge tested. Then, you need to have your starter tested. The starter solenoid is not the problem.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So how do I check the battery?
Pull it out and run it down to AutoZone. They will test it for free. Their tester is a load tester, which puts a load on your battery and measures your battery's output under load with respect to time.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:00 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out? (Simon Alexander)

So how do I check the battery?

Pull it out and run it down to AutoZone. They will test it for free. Their tester is a load tester, which puts a load on your battery and measures your battery's output under load with respect to time.
Thanks that was what I was looking for! :cheers:
Old 02-19-2003, 03:46 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Fixed! I went down to autozone to get a battery tester which checks the cranking amps of the battery. They only had one which cost 1500$. So much for that, I pulled the 2 1/2 year old 650 cranking amp nascar select battery and had it tested. 150 cranking amps! What a Piece of poopie. Missed the total warrenty by 6 months. Got a new 950 amp battery, problem solved. I also bought a trickle charger because the car is not my daily driver anymore. Thanks for the help!-TK
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out?

Quick Reply: How do you know if the starter or sillnoid(sp?) is out?