C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If anyone is interested, a cheap alternative to Tilt/Tele

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 10:21 PM
kfede1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default If anyone is interested, a cheap alternative to Tilt/Tele

I have been looking for a reasonable tilt/tele setup for my vette. I hesitate to spend $875 such as most of what I have found, and I am suspicious of finding an un-restored unit for $350 - $400, that may turn around and need service. Anyway, the reason I have been looking is because I don't fit well in my C3. With the seat all the way back, My left arm is fighting for space between my torso and the door, with the net result being that I tend to lean to the right driving the beast. I wanted to move the wheel farther away to get my arm un-pinned.. What I did was order a Grant wheel for a Tile/Tel corvette with a (somewhat) flat dish. This wheel is slightly smaller and 2+ inches farther away, which is more than the Tilt/Tele would give me. (I have been told it would give 1 3/4" at max travel away and 1 3/4" closer to me in the other direction) The wheel has the same bolt patter, but the reason it normally will not fir a non-tilt-tele is that the flatter dish will interfere with the turn signal stalk. This is a pretty easy fix... A free rental of a steering puller and a few screws later, the wheel and hub are off, and the stalk can be removed. A couple of gentle taps with a hammer at the bend (on a piece of carpet (To keep from marring the stalk) and it is straight and will clear the steering wheel. Anyway, it worked for me. The only issue might be that if you are very tall, the smaller wheel could block your view of the top of the Speedo or tach.

The wheels are inexpensive from Summit, and come in leather or wood....

Hopefully, this may help someone who has the problems I had...
Old 02-08-2003, 11:56 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: If anyone is interested, a cheap alternative to Tilt/Tele (kfede1)

I fully expected you to tell us that you had found a substitute or donor for a transplant to use. I really stopped in and looked to see if it was an S-10 unit. Someone here in the past has a car with an S-10 tilt column in it. I wish I could remember who it was I would like to know for future use.

I have a project coming up to put in a 2002 Grand Cherokee steering box in my '80. Chris aka 71Roadster has already got his installed. I was looking at using a late model Monte Carlo Column in it that cuts of at the firewall and uses a shaft with universals on each end. I think it would work with either my Jeep column or a Steeroids setup to obtain an easy alignment of components. JIM
Old 02-09-2003, 07:21 PM
kfede1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: If anyone is interested, a cheap alternative to Tilt/Tele (PROSOUTH)

No, unfortunately, I only had an alternative to tile/tele, not a substitute, but I would be interested in what difficulties a substitute column installation would be. Can anyone out there give a level of effort for installing a non-vette column of some sort into a C3?
Old 02-10-2003, 12:38 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: If anyone is interested, a cheap alternative to Tilt/Tele (kfede1)

I did the same thing with a 13" Grant wheel. Makes a nice difference :yesnod: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To If anyone is interested, a cheap alternative to Tilt/Tele

Quick Reply: If anyone is interested, a cheap alternative to Tilt/Tele