C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 09:11 PM
mp77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator or battery?

Both test good at autozone, but battery keeps going dead on me. Takes a charge and starts. Then after driving around for a while, car won't start. Then battery tests shows "good battery, low charge. Charge for an hour or so and tests good. Drive around a few minutes and go home. Turn off engine and try to start and no go. According to volt gauge, 14 to 15 volts. According to autozone tester, alternator putting up 14.2 volts, 178 amps. Any ideas? Battery is only 1.5 years old.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:43 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Alternator or battery? (mp77)

Check your battery connections,and chassis grounds.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:41 PM
mp77
Racer

Default Re: Alternator or battery? (The Money Pit)

Thanks, tommorrow I'm going to check and clean all connections including the ones at the starter. :cheers:
Old 02-08-2003, 11:44 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

You may have the famous starter heat soak problem. Does your Vette have headers?

Some people put heat reflective wraps on their starters, others replace the stock starter with a high torque mini starter.

[Modified by lyonsh, 10:47 PM 2/8/2003]
Old 02-09-2003, 12:49 PM
mp77
Racer

Default Re: Alternator or battery? (lyonsh)

You may have the famous starter heat soak problem. Does your Vette have headers?

Some people put heat reflective wraps on their starters, others replace the stock starter with a high torque mini starter.

[Modified by lyonsh, 10:47 PM 2/8/2003]
Yeah, I thought of that and I am going to put a sheild on. But the only thing that gets me is why would that make the battery register as needing a charge? I can charge it for three hours and it registers charge complete, but after twenty minutes of driving and the car won't start the battery registers as needing charge. No, I don't have headers yet, but when I completed the engine swap, I took out the piece in the exhaust that goes between the pipe and manifold connection that used to be for the pollution system. That brought the pipe up about three inches and put it a lot closer to the starter. So I am putting on the heat shield.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:44 PM
ken markusa
Instructor

Check the battery ground cable it's easy for them to corrode it happened to mein my '72 made a new cable and voila power.
Ken :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator or battery?

Quick Reply: Alternator or battery?