C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

runnin in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 08:04 PM
shady80
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runnin in the cold

i,m from the cold northeast,and i was wondering ,how long should i let my ride run to get all the juices flowin. the vette is garaged,but not heated;and every so often i start it up, and ihave gotten a lot of advice on how long to let it run. PLEASE HELP.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:16 PM
StingRay327
Instructor

Default Re: runnin in the cold (shady80)

I always run mine up to normal operating temp. But on nice days I'll drive it around for like an hour or so.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:24 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: runnin in the cold (shady80)

Within reason, the longer you run it the better. Moisture condenses in your crankcase and exhaust system (as well as any place where there is air). Bringing it up to operating temperature starts the evaporation process but you need to run it well past the point that you no longer see steam from your exhaust. Another goal is to get the oil hot enough to evaporate any fuel that has found it's way into the crankcase during cranking and while on choke. Don't pump the carb any more than is necessary before starting or while it's idleing. Doing so wets the plugs, washes lubricant from the cylinder walls, and dilutes your oil.

We all love the sound of our engines, especially when we haven't heard them in awhile, but avoid blipping the throttle from idle rpm. Instead, once it's warmed up, slowly run it up to about 2,000 rpm or more before stabbing the throttle. The shot from your accelerator pump may put more fuel into the engine than it can burn at idle rpm but much more of it will burned at the higher rpm.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:15 AM
shady80
Intermediate

Default Re: runnin in the cold (Vetterodder)

Thanks for your answer on runnin in the cold,BEST ADVICE YET; again,THANKS.

Get notified of new replies

To runnin in the cold

Quick Reply: runnin in the cold