C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed

Old 02-08-2003, 02:39 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed

I hit the gas to knock down the idle, then it started. This sucks the car only has 57,069 miles on it. Now I have to decide if it gets a stock rebuild or gets some muscle put into it. Not a good time finacially to have this happen.

Here is a question. I need to rebuild the engine and I plan to sell the car after I have it back to excellent condition. Would it be worth more if I ?

1. stock rebuild?
2. build it up to 300 hp?

Bob
Old 02-08-2003, 02:41 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed (76 Red)

A rebuild like you are talking about will do nothing more then get the price back up to fair market value. Never know though, you could find someone who really "needs" that car.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:59 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed (76 Red)

If your gonna sell it, Bob - then one thing I can say:
Spend as little as possible to get it running decent again.

Full rebuild ? No way !! If it is just one rod bearing, you don't even have
to pull the engine out all the way to fix it. If it makes you fell better selling
it, then do all the bearings in the bottom - without regrinding (if possible).
I wouldn't touch anything above the crank - if I were going to sell it. You
probably won't recoup any extra costs of a HP build-up.

Selling a vette :cry
Old 02-08-2003, 03:15 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed (NHvette)

Dave you have mail
Old 02-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed (NHvette)

OUCH!! i know the feeling... my 69 spun a main bearing a couple years ago on my #'s matching 350. i pulled it and spent 2500 on a rebuild 327. i recomment replacing all the bearings on the bottom end.. you could use the money that i give you from the 4spd :cheers: good luck with it
Old 02-10-2003, 08:27 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

TTT
Old 02-10-2003, 08:48 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Hate to tell you this but , the entire oil system is contaminated with the dbris from your spun bearing . The reciprocating assembly is in dire need of repair !
A spun bearing is not some thing you can just patch up and not expect it to come back to haunt you .

Gman :nono:
Old 02-10-2003, 10:06 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed (ram82fire)

I will not just do a patch job, I am trying to decide weather to do a stock rebuild or send my Block to AR racing and have them make a 385 hp motor out of it for $2400.00.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Crate motor ZZ-4 or one of the other. It will be a long time before 76's are bringing chrome bumper prices. Just save the original and sell it with the car.

Value wise, I would give you more money for your car with a ZZ-4 than the stock 175 or so horse original motor. Just my .02. Good luck :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulling the 79 out to take this new sig pic I spun a bearing Question enclosed