C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors?

Same as topic, has it been done? Is their any tuning problems? I would like to use Carbs or Throttle Body INjectors because that way it would be cheaper for me to do ans it acts like a Wet Intake to cool the intake charge a little more. So is it possibe? Any problems to do this? Any C3's or C4's using this kind of setup. I dont want to use MPFI because then I cannot use my computer and the setup itself would cost me 2.5-3K compared to a couple of TB's and a Fuel pump. Thanks for any replys :yesnod:
Old 02-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors? (Light84vette)

Sure it can be done, there are kits available for the carbs like the iglo covers or the hats for on your carb. The iglo is the better solution. As for TB's, sure has been done too. JoBy has a supercharged crossfire. There way you seal up the TB's is the same in both s/c and t/c. You jave to groove the throttle shafts and drill a hole for boost reference (so you won't blow out the fuel/air through the shaft under boost), the same has to be done to a carb when you're not running an iglo setup.

I have carbs but mine are pressure tight and have a fully pressurized body. If you use a carb meant for n/a you will need to modify it (if you're not using the iglo)

There are no real tuning problems, fuel supply and ignition timing are critical, just like w/ FI.

Marck
Old 02-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors? (Twin_Turbo)

Thanks for the info, could you give me some specs on your engine and Turbo Setup? ;)
Old 02-11-2003, 07:49 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

The engine I have now is 9:1 compression but I have stuff lying to build a lower compression engien. just need a good vlock. I have carillo rods, JE 22cc dished pistons and a cola crank.

The turbo's are Rotomaster T04B S-4 models, the exhaust manifolds are 1 off items, I have rotomaster adjustable 2 port wastegates, an AMW adjustable pop-off valve, 2 behr intercoolers w/ carbon fiber tanks, 4 dellorto DHLA 45 tri jet pressure cabrs (lotus esprit turbo)

I'm gonna start up the engine w/ some side pipe headers first to tune the carbs, then I'll throw on the turbo'sand hope this one doesn't melt :)

Old 02-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Good Luck :thumbs:
Old 02-11-2003, 09:47 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Twin Turbo Have you run this setup before or is it still in the building stage? As for the setup I get the feeling that the turbo's feed through the intercoolers and then into the carb? Am I correct? If this is correct will there be a throttle response problem when driving normal and the turbo's are not putting out anything? A fellow in my small town has a similiar setup with the turbo feeding the carb. I will have to go visit him and ask how he likes the setup.
I would love to see pictures and hear more about your setup.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors? (norvalwilhelm)

Still building it up, parts are arriving slowly here.

Indeed the carbs are blowthrough and each bank will have an intercooler which come together for balance and there's a pop off valve there.

I don't think there will be a throttle response problem, there will be more than enough airflow, the carbs are specially built for turbocharging (lotus esprit turbo carbs), combined with the individual runner intake that should not give any throttle response problems... I hope :) The ducting will be as short as possible..

The guy you know has an IR manifold w/ 4 dellorto's too (or webers) or a single carb???

I don't have any recent pictures of the setup, only a mockup picture (for oil lines, oil returns and such) of the engine. This is it:

I still have to finish the airboxes for on the carbs w/ inlets on the front for the ducting.

Old 02-12-2003, 01:12 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you Twin_Turbo. Looks very nice. Are you worried at all about the turbo's hitting the A arms in their present location? I would also worry about the air cleaners sticking through the rad. There is not much room infront of the heads.
Good luck
Old 02-12-2003, 05:26 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors? (norvalwilhelm)

I'm not worried about the turbo's, they clear the arms just fine.

As for the filters, they need some elbows to angle them slightly down, not too worried about the rad. I don't have a stock rad, I have a huge Fluidyne rad that needs a custom support frame anyways.

I'll have plenty of room, no inner fenders for me, no airco, no heater box, just a core with a custom blower setup .

Marck
Old 02-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Hey, I know you, your on the CrossFire Forum. :yesnod: :thumbs: NNice Engine, but how far are you and how much more time do you think its going to take for you to finish your engine(Car)?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Yup, I am one of the owners of the crossfire forum :) I'mTwinnie there (and was here)
I'm going step by step. I'm hoping I will have something that looks like a car by summer. It'll probably be next year before I will do any driving.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Is it hard to get parts shipped to the neatherlands? BTW what time is it when you posted here? The previous post,?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

IT's doable, I have good connections in the US. Shipping prices are murder though. I can import my own stuff way cheaper than buying it here. If I buy it here the US price will go times 2 - 2,5 or so, which is completely nuts.

Dunno what time it was but it's now 1:45 :) and.. I'm gonna hit the sak :)

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 6:54 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

WOW :eek: Its only 5:20 here in California. Owell, :rofl:
Old 02-13-2003, 12:32 AM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Twin turbo, Why don't you send the engine over to me, I will get all the parts and then send it back in 1 shipment. that should save you a bunch shouldn't it. : ) or you could just have someone here stand as a loading zone for your parts and then ship all the parts in one shipment. We need to keep the creative twin turbos comming along. I should have mine back in the building stage here in a month or so. I need new headers though. Much like yours "twinnie" My old ones set the turbos 90 degrees so the turbo inlet was facing the carb. I am selling them now.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:18 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors? (WashingtonRacer)

I dont think he would do that if he is so far in the engine build. HE did say he'll be up and running by the summer :thumbs:

[Modified by Light84vette, 6:19 AM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-13-2003, 03:09 AM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

I know I was just playing around.

Get notified of new replies

To Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors?

Old 02-13-2003, 03:12 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors? (WashingtonRacer)

Daum, will a stock 84 700r4 handle 350HP?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:03 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Hahahaha I already have a loading dock in the US :) A buddy of mine has a garage stacked w/ my crap ;)

Now, as for stacking, I've been looking what it would cost to ship a little m or motown block. Last quote I got was 650$ airfreight :crazy:

I have new JE dished pistons, carillo rods and a cola crank lying in the US, since therre are few machine shops here (and I doubt there is one good one, last one I dealed with was not up to my standards, messy work) I'm thinking about having a block machined in the Us and then shipped. Might be more economical IF I can get the shipping cost down.

Marck

Old 02-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Daum, will a stock 84 700r4 handle 350HP?

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo on CARB oor TB Injectors?