C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:39 AM
georgec
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem

I was driving along and suddenly noticed that there was no resistance on clutch pedal and I could not get the car out of gear. I popped it out of gear, coasted to a stop and had car towed home. There is no resistance on clutch and it will not go in gear. I looked at linkage and it appears to be linked, but comparing to shop manual a spring is missing. Prior to this I never had any problems with tranny or with clutch. I heard no noises and felt nothing unusual in clutch. I bought car about 2 years ago and have put about 5 thousand miles on it with no problems. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:34 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch problem (georgec)

Throwout bearing or pressure plate?.That little spring connected to the linkage shouldn`t offer any resistance.. :smash: :smash:
Old 02-08-2003, 03:52 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

just wondering, if one of the clutch components fail, isnt it more typical that pedal resistance increases? ie, it is very hard to press down the clutch pedal and the clutch does not disengage? So in your case, are you saying you can easily press the clutch pedal to the floor and it comes right back up? MJ
Old 02-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (MNJack)

Possibly the TO bearing has come out of the fork...You can look thru the side of the bellhousing and see if fork is OK.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:59 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Hello George,
It could be your linkage - car milage and use produce different wear results. I discovered each piece of my clutch linkage from the pedal to the fork was worn with elongated holes.
Trying to shorten a long story, replaced slipping clutch on my '74 - clutch continued to slip. Clutch pedal pin failed rolling into driveway. Dropped steering and removed pedal assembly to fabricate and weld new pin. Close exam of each piece (including cross bar) showed wear. Replaced all linkage with new and overhauled pedal assm.. Now works like new - or at least without any problems.
The wear on mine was visable but may not be on others. If nothing else, I'll have some piece of mind on long trips. :banghead:
Old 02-09-2003, 09:49 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

There are two (2) rods on your clutch linkage. One from clutch pedal to the top of bellcrank and one from the bottom of bellcrank to throwout bearing arm. Prolly the pin fell out from the shorter rod down by the bell housing. If anything came loose inside it would be VERY noisy. Also look under the dash at where the rod attaches to the clutch pedal. Could have come off there.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch problem

Quick Reply: Clutch problem