C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distributor servicing

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 09:39 AM
jetech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor servicing

Using the "How to rebuild your small block chevy" book and a tech article from "Chevy high performance" I dissasembled my distributor and found many components covered with rust, dirt, oil, and about anything else that could get under the cap. From the articles that I read, basic servicing should include cleaning, greasing, and checking for wear. I didnt find much wear but the grease in the well was like clay :eek: . Also the ignition module should have a heat sink grease under it but all I found was a dilluted oily goo and the pins had corrossion on them. All of the parts cleaned up well with glass beads including the module pins and other contacts. I can't find distributor grease so I am going to use moly-grease. The disassembly and assembly is easy but I am confused by how the grease well works, the lube holes for the top of the shaft are at the top of the well but once the grease gets below the holes I don't see how the rest is usable. I didnt see anything that wicks the grease up to the holes or any holes at the bottom of the well. Any one have any idea how this works? :confused:
Old 02-08-2003, 11:23 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: distributor servicing (jetech)

jetech,
I am unfamiliar with an HEI but I rebuild points type/TI distributors all the time. Clean out the "clay" it`s 20 year old grease that has hardened, moly grease is OK so fill the well then go to your local GM dealer the seal is still available, on my stuff there is a felt washer that sits above the seal BUT like I said I do points distributors. Also check the bushings for side play and replace (usually just the bottom) if necessary. ...redvetracr

Quick Reply: distributor servicing