C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts

Old 02-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts

Jim et all;

I'm in the process of rebuilding my steering column. Does anyone know where I can get (preferably rent) the special tools required for this job. The chassis service manual lists them as J-2**** parts numbers (there are several). I assume this was a GM deal tools number.

BTW, I'm not taling about the steering wheel puller. These are tools shown in the manual to drive out what appears to be a pin and/or casting plug to get to the tilt pivot connection.

Any suggestions. I hate to have to buy them for this one job but if I have to I will (if I knew where :) )

Thanks
Old 02-07-2003, 04:04 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts (Monkeywrench)

You don't need a special tool for those. The pins have tapped holes. Just insert a screw and pull them out.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:22 PM
V8yunkie
Racer

It should be no problem to manufacture the needed tools yourself. I did so during my steering column rebuild.

Here are 2 pics:

From a piece of aluminum extrusion I have bent a U-shape, drilled a 1/2" and there you have the tool to loosen the c-ring (just use the hub nut and a washer to compress). The C-clamp in front of the colum was used to keep the telescopic shaft to slide during operation of the U-tool.

To pull the pivot pins, find a bolt to fit their thread (please do not ask me about the thread type... kind of strange...). Use a wrench an two larger (than the bolt) nuts and a washer and just turn the bolt with a screwdriver... I hope the pic helps to explain... bit difficult... the nuts are just needed as the bolt was too long.

If any further questions, let me know.

Regards,
Thomas

[Modified by V8yunkie, 3:25 PM 2/7/2003]

[Modified by V8yunkie, 3:33 PM 2/7/2003]
Old 02-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts (zwede)

Gotcha! I couldn't tell from the photos in the service manual and I didn't want to strip out the threads but it appears that they do pop right out.

Thanks guys. I apprecite it!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of those tools are available aftermarket. Snap-on, MAC, and I imagine craftsman as well. The pin puller (tilt pins) is cheap! But like the rest said, you can improvise for most of them. Maybe stop at a shop and take a look at them, then make 'em

Hans
Old 02-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts (Wrencher)

The pivot pins have a tapped hole in them. You can jury rig a puller using a 8-32 screw, a 8-32 nut, washer, and a 1/2 inch or a 12mm socket. Bridge each pin with the socket and use the screw and nut to pull them out.

Remove the housing by pulling upward on the tilt lever and pull thehousing upward until it stops. Move the housing to the right or left to disengage the rack from the ignition switch rod. Pull the housing up off the steering shaft.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

BTW, a lot more information on disassembling and repairing your T&T column can be found at http://www.corvettefaq.com under Steering. There are several papers, line drawings, and a blowup picture that can help as well.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:20 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts (Jim Shea)

BTW, a lot more information on disassembling and repairing your T&T column can be found at http://www.corvettefaq.com under Steering.....
:iagree:

Jim,

Nice job on the papers at FAQ. Recently, I used them, and my Corvette shop manual, to replace the ignition lock on my 1980. Went pretty smooth.

Thanks again.

Dave
Old 02-10-2003, 07:37 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts (Jim Shea)

BTW, a lot more information on disassembling and repairing your T&T column can be found at http://www.corvettefaq.com under Steering. There are several papers, line drawings, and a blowup picture that can help as well.
Yes I have used your pappers to get to this point so far. Great work and thanks for sharing the info.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Get notified of new replies

To Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paging Jim Shea or other steering colum experts