C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline, how long does it last?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 02:12 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Gasoline, how long does it last?

I took my Vette out yesterday and it ran really rough for the first fifteen minutes but then smoothed out some. I haven't put gas in it since last fall and I was wondering how long does it take before Gasoline goes sour? How long is gas really potent, 93 octane I use from Mobil? :skep:

[Modified by killain, 6:17 PM 2/7/2003]
Old 02-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Gasoline, how long does it last? (killain)

you should be able to tell if it is bad by smelling it. i use exxon 93 in my jet ski and i leave it in the all winter and dont use it again until late march or april
Mike
Old 02-07-2003, 02:29 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

It doesn't last long in mine at all. :lol: Seriously, over the winter shouldn't be a problem but just to make sure I always add some Sta-Bil to the fuel and run it for a few minutes to get it into the carb prior to shuttin' it down. :cheers:
Old 02-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Gasoline, especially modern mixtures, does oxidize, especially in the carb. From what I've read, the shelf life is about 6 weeks without adding a fuel stabilizer. That doesn't mean it won't run your engine after 6 weeks, it just means it isn't as good as it was 'fresh from the pump' so to speak. Eventually, it will become inert but it takes a long time.

When putting your car away from the long winter nap, it's best to do so with a full tank (less air) and a good stabilizer additive but make sure you run the motor long enough to pump stabilized gas up from the tank into the carb. It's better NOT to start your engine every couple weeks during the winter because unless you're willing to run it long enough to completely heat the engine and cooling system, a short run will cause condensation inside the engine, won't pump oil everywhere and will cause premature engine wear.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Gasoline, how long does it last? (Mac)

I've heard that it takes 3 months for the fuel to completely seperate and gum up :cheers:
Old 02-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

For storage and starting info, I recommend the following site:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/care/storage.html

I contains info from General Motors and is pretty informative.

Hope it helps. :chevy
Old 02-07-2003, 06:21 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I've always wondered if it was better to leave the engine alone for the winter or run it every two weeks. I concede that I don't think runing for a half an hour is able to get enough heat up to warm and lube everything inside, so from now on I'll leave it alone for the winter. And I did leave it with only half a tank of fuel and that's a no no! :cry
Old 02-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Every winter I used to add Sta bil to the gas tank in my boat then one winter I forgot and the thing still fired right up. Ive read that their is more methanol in the new fuels and they may break down some but will not gum up like the old leaded fuels. I still add Sta bil to the boat tank but not the Vette, I drive that between snow storms so the gas is never more than a month old. :cheers:
Old 02-07-2003, 09:27 PM
NorthVette
Racer

Ask every one that regularily stores their cars, snowmobiles, motorcycles and/or atv's... You will need a fuel stabilizer for reliable start and service of your toy when you want to drive it! period! If you wonder about my experience, ask... I will tell!

:cheers:
Old 02-09-2003, 06:54 AM
Magnum '82
Racer

Well, I can tell you that my local motorcycle/snowmobile dealer makes a lot of money cleaning carbs on customers toys who store them without gas stabilizer in them. The carbs turn green inside with a really stinky slime coating. My dealer tells me they see problems with bikes/sleds starting already with gas that's only 60 days old. Of course these items are more fuel critical than a car, but it gives you an idea of how crappy the gas is these days.

Get notified of new replies

To Gasoline, how long does it last?

Quick Reply: Gasoline, how long does it last?