C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Blankman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leak

I'm going to try and hunt down a power steering fluid leak this weekend I think , and I'm wondering if I disconnect the hoses and all when it goes back together does it have to be bled like a brake system? Is there a certain way to go about taking it out? Or can I just put it back together and pour in fluid and that's it?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Power steering leak (Blankman)

I broke one last summer. Just fix it, fill it, and run it. :smash:
Old 02-07-2003, 04:13 PM
hawgn68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Power steering leak (Avette4me)

Did the chore last night on my '73. It was leaking from the front shaft seal. Got a rebuild kit from ABC auto for 13 bones, and only used the front seal. If this is where your leak is coming from, just remove the pulley, pry out the seal (similar to timing chain cover), coat the new one with ATF and press it in with a socket and small mallet. You don't need to bleed the system, but make sure you fill it a couple times after running, as the fluid will drain from the hoses when disassembling and will deplete the resevoir on initial run afterwards. Good luck!

Jimbo
Old 02-07-2003, 04:34 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Power steering leak (hawgn68)

Sorry if i intrude on your thread,but is the fitting on the PS pump supposed to move?Its a -73.. :cheers:
Old 02-07-2003, 04:55 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Blankman, I had a heck of a time figuring out where my p/s was leaking. A small drip can travel a long way before it drips off the lowest point - so finding the source can be tough. Also, it is likely the car will need to be running and warmed up before you can spot the leak. You might even need to be turning the steering wheel. So, try crawling under your running car while somebody is turning the steering wheel! :eek:

What I did, was first sprayed it all down with simple green, hosed it off, then wiped it clean. STILL COULDNT FIND THE LEAK!!! :mad Suspected the hoses, so I repeat the first steps, then wrapped the hoses with small pieces of clean white towel, then wrapped that up with aluminum foil. Started the car and ran for 15 minutes. When I unwrapped the aluminum foil it was obvious that one hose had a small split in the middle.... replaced all the hoses for good measure, no more leak!! :) MJ
Old 02-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power steering leak (BB wowbagger)

The discharge fitting in the back of the pump should be torqued to 40 ft-lbs. The power steering hose nut that screws into the fitting should be torqued to 35 ft-lbs if you have a 1968 through 1979 vehicle. The power steering hose nut torque from 1980 through 1982 should be 25 ft-lbs. So the discharge fitting shouldn't rotate even when removing the power steering hose nut. (OF course, rust and corrosion can add quite a bit to the hose nut torque after 30+ years.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering leak

Quick Reply: Power steering leak