C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 10:48 AM
kfede1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes

I received my new exhaust system today.... What a huge dissapointment. Partly my fault, since my research appeared to have been flawed, but I thought I was getting a madrel bent exhaust system. Anyway, the exhausts I received werer from Volunteers (East Tennessee Vette??). THe bends dropped from 2 1/2 inches to about 2" at the bend on the short diameter. They had more "flattened" areas and various restrictions that I could bear to put on my vette. I am looking for a source of Mandrel bent exhausts. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced vendor, or even a reasonable shop that can do this in Dallas?
Old 02-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes (kfede1)

No but I know a great one in Atlanta..Cheap as well
Old 02-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes (Alwyn678)

I never found one that was prebuilt. I had to find a local shop to do it. They did a great job and the fit is perfect. I think you are better off having one made for your car. Hopefully someone local to you can help you out.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:52 PM
StingRay-Steve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes (Gordonm)

Stanless Steel Works make 'em that way and Volunteers is one of their distributers. I just spoke to them ( S.S. Works) today on the phone. Maybe Volunteers will take back those bent up things and give you credit towards some nice S.S. ones! stainlessworks.net/ is his address. Let me know what you decide as I am looking for the same kind of deal.

:cheers:
steve
Old 02-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Default Re: Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes (StingRay-Steve)

I'd just call around to muffler shops and have a nice custom fit one made with the mufflers of your choice. Some of those welders are real artists. If your in a rust area of the country at least get some type of coated pipes so they always look nice.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:05 PM
kfede1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes (kfede1)

I had bought the exhaust through Ecklers. and they took the exhaust back with no hasles or fuss. Actually they were quite gracious about it. As for Stainless works, THey do mandrel bend their pipes (Stainless and Aluminixed) as StingRay-Steve said. Only problem with them is that they project 3-6 weeks b4 they even get to building them.. No stock, do to costs of inventory. So, I am still looking. Does Volunteers have a web site of a phone number,,, If they stock these???
Old 02-07-2003, 10:04 PM
dually4wd
Racer

You could also check with Torque Tech. They make nice mandrel stuff for Chevelle and Camaro, but I don't know whether they make anything for Vettes. If they do, I'm sure it will be nice.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:08 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I got my exhaust pipes from E Tennessee Vette. I think they make the pipes for Zip. They make exhaust pipes that are direct replacements for the stock pipes. Were the stock systems mandrel bent? I believe the stock 2 1/2" pipes were flattened to improve ground clearance. I was happy with what I got and got exceptional service when I had a problem with one piece. The gentleman I dealt with (Was his name Jack Horner? :) ) was very interested in keeping his customer(s) happy. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 12:11 AM 2/8/2003]
Old 02-08-2003, 10:13 AM
78whtshark
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (MNJack)

Jack does real good work! He also repairs and rebuilts trailing arms and wheel bearings. I have been to his shop in Knoxville, TN. He does real first class work. When I get my 1970 on the road, I'll let him do some pipes for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes

Quick Reply: Does anyone know of a good source for 2 1/2" Mandrel bent exhaust pipes