C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder My Fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 01:22 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powder My Fan

Hi Gang..After getting back a few replies about how after market fans are noisy and tend to fly apart, I 've decided not to put one on. I'm thinking I might have my fan powder coated. Has anyone had this done? If so, was it expensive and were you happy with the results? Figured I'd ask the most knowledgeable car people around. Vette Owners everywhere. Thanks people.

[Modified by WhyFly, 12:18 AM 2/7/2003]
Old 02-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Powder My Fan (WhyFly)

It's pretty cheap to powdercoat. Can't give you an idea as to prices, because every time I've had items done, I've brought in many items at once for a bulk deal.

You can get every color of the rainbow done. Also, in black, shops around here offer 10 shades of black, from "flat flat" to "gloss gloss". There are two types of powdercoat, one better in area of high heat, the other better for frames because of "chip" resistance. Having a "senior moment" and can't think of the names of both types...one is polyester, the other is ??? Powdercoat is VERY durable, and resistant to gas/brake fluid, etc. Looks great and is fairly maintenance free when done. Hope this helps. Chuck
Old 02-07-2003, 09:59 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,
I had mine done just over a year ago. I also had a few parts done at the same time (about a dozen) & it cost $75 which included shot blasting all parts prior to powdercoating. Mine was done in Polyester in a high gloss black & still looks as good as they day it was done. I've been getting stuff powdercoated for years & the only problems I've had are when I need to strip it off, or if an electrical contact is required on the part (you have to get through the powdercoat to the bare metal). Mask up any threads prior to powdercoating, or be prepared to buy a comprehensive tap & die set! :lol:
:cheers:
Old 02-07-2003, 10:10 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Powder My Fan (UKPaul)

Can you powder coat a fan? I guess you could as long as it wasn't a flex fan.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Powder My Fan (BSeery)

I took my alternator apart and carried the casing to work and sandblasted it real good. Then I had it powdercoated. Turned out really nice. When I put it back together I painted the outside edge of the coils that show between casing halves red. Turned out real nice. I also had my power steering brackets and pulley coated. So far so good. I thoght the pulley may squeel, but so far nothing, not a peep. :cool:
I would say that you should be able to do the fan with no problems. Go for it.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:26 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Powder My Fan (BSeery)

Can you powder coat a fan? I guess you could as long as it wasn't a flex fan.
Definately. It's just a solid lump of metal, ideal for powdercoat. To give an idea of how tough the stuff is, I was once in a hurry so had a new rear sprocket for my m/cycle powdercoated (instead of chromed). Several hundred miles later the powdercoating was still on the teeth. It had been rubbed off of the outer edges of the sprocket by the chain side plates sliding over it, but was still solidly in place where the chains rollers sit (but it had lost it's gloss :) ). I ended up having to use a file to get the stuff off!
Old 02-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: Powder My Fan (UKPaul)

Hi,
I had mine done just over a year ago. I also had a few parts done at the same time (about a dozen) & it cost $75 which included shot blasting all parts prior to powdercoating. Mine was done in Polyester in a high gloss black & still looks as good as they day it was done.
Hi Paul

Memory's going now at my age, but am I right in thinking that the blade section comes away from the clutch? Any problems there? Is this your "tame" p/coater? Looked at my fan at Tom's at Christmas and was horrified at how rough it's looking, and I get a lot of flack from June about it! Could be something to do while I'm tackling the callipers.. no, still not started them!
Old 02-07-2003, 12:29 PM
HotRod123
Advanced

Default Re: Powder My Fan (Stephen Irons)

Powder your own fan!!
This should be in OT!~
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :seeya
Old 02-07-2003, 12:34 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Powder My Fan (Stephen Irons)

Hi Stephen,
What's this? Friday afternoon on the Net :lol:
As I remember (& you think you've got memory problems, Dave) the fan was just bolted to the clutch. It must have been easy to get off as I did it at the point when I was trying to get it all back together for that sunny weather early last year (which turned to continuous rain just after I got the Vette up & running!).
The tame powder coater is no more. One of the partners had an ex wife who wanted in on it (uh-oh). She had all these trendy ideas involving her hobby of interior decorating (strange hobby, what a weirdo!), spent a fortune & led them into bankruptcy. So not only has she taken the guy for his house & 1/2 his possesions, she's killed his business, running up large debts in the process. Some women :rolleyes: Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em! For me it means using the "normal channels" ie paying full price, the alternative company doesn't have any back doors :(
Are you sure about starting those calipers? I just found out that my Vette is off the road for at least a month. Not for fitting a 200-4r or anything simple like that, nope, it's because like a complete idiot I thought I'd get my seats painted. Just what is it with painters in this country? I'm hopping bl**dy :mad & (text deleted due to fear of expulsion from forum) bugger.
:cheers:
Old 02-07-2003, 11:30 PM
WhyFly
Instructor

Thanks for the replies you guys...I love this place...I've never had any powder coating done so I thought I would ask. I was pretty sure someone would have tried it. I did have my headers ceramic coated and couldn't be happier with them. They turned out really nice and look so clean under the hood. There seems to be quite a demand here for that kind of work.. I live in a pretty large city and called a couple of places I was referred to for the work and had to wait almost two weeks to get them done.. I also installed a new set of coils in the front end that I ordered powder coated..They also look pretty good....Guess that settles it...Now....I just have to decide on the best color...cause it sounds like once it's there...it's there pretty much there forever..
Thanks...what a great group...

Get notified of new replies

To Powder My Fan

Quick Reply: Powder My Fan