C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much power steering fluid... side effects?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Too much power steering fluid... side effects?

I put in a bit too much power steering fluid. Are there any side effects aside from puking?

I actually used ATF instead of power steering fluid, but it's all the same in the end, no?

-Steve
Old 02-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Too much power steering fluid... side effects? (Pacin'California)

Too much fluid will expand in the reservoir and vent from the cap as the fluid heats up. The bad thing is this fluid will run directly onto the left lower control arm bushing (on small block cars). This, over time will severely soften and destroy the C/A bushing which is not fun to replace. For the same reason it is very important too not overflow the reservoir when adding fluid.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Too much power steering fluid... side effects? (silvervetteman)

Well, when I took another look at the power steering cap, it said "DO NOT OVERFILL".

...so I didn't.

Pumped it out and got it down so that the level was right about at the "COLD" mark. Hadn't driven the car for ~2 hours, plus flushed all the fluid that was in there anyways.

Question - do our power steering pumps have a tendency to groan when turning the wheel when the car is not moving? (or at low speeds for that matter...)

-Steve
Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Too much power steering fluid... side effects? (Pacin'California)

Pumps,by nature are noisey when loaded to extreme. Pump "whine" is somewhat normal and in no way hurts its function, When they get too noisey..(personal opinion on where that point is) replacement is the only fix. IF a pump is run dry even for a few seconds, it may become noisey. Noise, not funtion is the most common reason for replacemant other than leaks. If you were to take a known quiet pump and dis-assemble it and rebuild it, The result may be a noisey pump. It defies logic but that's what happens. :cry
Old 02-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Too much power steering fluid... side effects? (silvervetteman)

When you disassemble and reassemble a power steering pump, you need to make sure that you place replace all the 10 vanes in the same 10 slots in the rotor (same orientation and direction). You also have to make sure that the plates and cam ring are oriented the same as original. You even have to keep track of the splines on the driveshaft and the orientation as they mate with the rotor.

If you take these extremes when you disassemble the pump; marking the parts for orientation, position, etc, and then you put it back together; the pump will make the same noises as before you took it apart. If you don't, the pump will be different; but who knows, the pump could even be quieter.

I used to be the Supervisor of the Steering Systems Noise and Vibration Group at Delphi Saginaw. That is the extremes we went through in order to duplicate as well as try to determine the origin of power steering pump noises.

BTW, automatic transmission fluid is not the same as power steering fluid. The approved GM power steering fluid that is available at all GM dealers is specifically formulated to work with the Saginaw power steering pump. I always recommend that for maximum durability, you should use the GM power steering fluid.

[Modified by Jim Shea, 10:02 PM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Too much power steering fluid... side effects? (Jim Shea)

Hey Jim....How do you feel about the so called Snake oil additives?? I have used the Lucas additive and it stopped all the leaks I had in the pump and rack. This was a year ago and no leaks and no noise or problems any thoughts?? It is thick so I guess it conditions the seals...will it do any long term damage??
Old 02-06-2003, 11:48 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Too much power steering fluid... side effects? (Alwyn678)

I have read several comments on the Lucas power steering additive over the last year or so. It seems that most people are quite satisfied with it. We never did any testing with additives because we had no control over the different types, how much was added to the system, the quality of the fluid, etc. I'm sure that the additives have a swelling agent in them that causes the rubber in the o-rings, hose inner liners, lip seals, etc to swell and hopefully cause the leaking seal to swell and reseal.

The leak will most likely come back at a later date. The real drawback is that the swelling agent has affected all the seals in the pump, assist cylinder, control valve, and hoses. It could cause some of the sliding lip seals or the pump shaft seal to wear out sooner. But after 30+ years, who is to say when the seal was going to leak anyway.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:49 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Too much power steering fluid... side effects? (Alwyn678)

OurLumina Mini van power steering rack developed a moderate leak at about 120k. I tried several additives. Lucas stopped the leak and it hasn't leaked for a few years. 180k It worked for me.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:55 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Too much power steering fluid... side effects? (Jim Shea)

I have had 2-3 cars over the years where adding ATF to power steering seemed to cause leakage fairly quickly afterward, where no particular evidence was apparent before...but it does make me wonder if there appears no leak, where did the original fluids GO??? oh well.....just an observation..but it makes ME buy power steering fluid.....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Too much power steering fluid... side effects?

Quick Reply: Too much power steering fluid... side effects?