C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good damper for a street application?

Old 02-06-2003, 09:28 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default What is a good damper for a street application?

I am upgrading my engine and was wondering if I should replace the 32 year old stock damper with maybe a Street Fluid Damper. It costs about 150 bucks. I believe my current damper is still in good condition. Any thoughts?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: What is a good damper for a street application? (KJL)

I put the streetdamper on mine, but it is probably overkill. The stock damper should be good enough. Someone that knows more will hopefully reply and explain why.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:54 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is a good idea to go with a new stock damper. If your spending the money on a new engine or rebuilt engine spend the extra on the damper. No need taking the chance on a 32 year old part.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I put a street dampner on my old motor and just carried it over to the ZZ4. The design is nice and it seems to work really well. I also like the idea of never having to worry if my balancer slipped. I would say if you can afford the extra money over a stock balancer go with the Streetdampr. If you want to read more about it check out the Fluiddampr website here. http://www.fluidampr.com/streetdampr.html

Mark B.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:28 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: What is a good damper for a street application? (scottw)

Fluid dampers are a lifetime investment. The SFI 6 1/4 i have has been on lots of different motors.

You guys or gals that have dampers last so long must drive around like a bunch of grandma's. My original L-82 broke from the inner to outer ring within the first 3-4 years after I had installed a beefed up TH350. I don't think that the stock dampers were designed to change 1000's of rpm in a near instant when the tranny would bang the next shift. :steering:
Old 02-06-2003, 10:33 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: What is a good damper for a street application? (gkull)

Thanks for the replies, Seeing how I have installed a Transgo kit and I am looking to up my rear ratio from 3.08 to 3.55, It sounds like a good time to replace the old damper. :thumbs:
Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Well, I'm in the minority ... I'm not a big fan of fluid dampers for most street cars. I'd go with a good quality new elastomer type like what came on it. BHJ Dynamics makes as good a rubber damper as there is ... as well as some of the best machine shop tooling. I have some of their tooling.
http://www.bhjinc.com/
Old 02-06-2003, 10:52 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is a good damper for a street application? (jackson)

If you are modifying the engine, particularly raising the power band or redline RPM, I would recommend a fluid damper. Even Chevrolet recognized this, and put a dual mass damper (though not a fluid damper) on the LT4 in 1996 due to the increased RPM the engine was capable of pulling. The fluid damper dampens over a much wider range, according to those who manufacture them at least. Given that racing engines typically run them it can't hurt, and a little overkill is a good thing IMHO.
FYI, I have been running a FluidDampr Street Damper for a year or two. The other nice thing is that it has timing marks every 90 degrees and mor marks BTDC and ATDC. Makes tuning and adjusting valve lash easier.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To What is a good damper for a street application?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is a good damper for a street application?