C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Vintage air.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:03 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Question about Vintage air.

Hey guys I have seen a lot of threads lately concearning aftermarket air systems. When I bought my car the a/c system was barely there. The harness in the engine compartment was butchered and the compressor was locked up. I had been kicking around the idea of eliminating the a/c to give the under hood area a cleaner look. Changing the air box from an a/c box to just a heater box. Does the vintage air unit eliminate the compressor under the hood and condense everything to an under dash setup? Is there a web site for Vintage air?

:cheers:
Old 02-06-2003, 09:16 AM
chadman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Question about Vintage air. (BlackRat)

I believe that it does all that and it also has heat!!! No need to install a factory heater..
Old 02-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Last I knew Vintage Air did not make a specific C3 system. They do make some hot rod systems that you may be able to adapt. Check them out at http://www.vintageair.com/
Does the vintage air unit eliminate the compressor under the hood
It cannot eliminate the compressor from under the hood, the engine has to drive the compressor, so if you have A/C you will have a compressor under the hood.

tom...

Old 02-07-2003, 10:03 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Vintage Air has generic systems that you can install. Also, make a phone call to Old Air Products in Fort Worth. I can't vouch for their products - YET - but they have been very helpful, great customer service. And I posted that they can and are more than willing to integrate any vehicles AC controls to work with their unit, so everything can look how you want it to look. Make this decision now while your engine is still out of the way so you'll be able to patch the firewall properly.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:35 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Your question asked if it would eliminate the under hood compressor. There is no way to do this. All compressors for auto AC are engine driven becuase of the load.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Question about Vintage air. (DaveL82)

You can't eliminate the compressor, but the Vintage Air/Hot Rod Air/All the aftermarket kits use a Sanden compressor. It is small and pretty cool looking, it's also available in chrome!
Here's a picture of how much of the unit shows under the left dash pad of GWHITE75's car. It's the only picture I have off his installation, that I can get to.

There is nothing showing on the firewall except the heater and A/C lines going through.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackrat,

I have ALL of GWHITE75's pictures of his a/c install. Let me know and I can send some pics to you....

Bob
3:49 mst :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Vintage air.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Vintage air.