C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Project c3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 04:11 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a Project c3?

hey,

I was thinking about buying a project c3 and building it up to be a nice pro-street car ( 10/11 1/4mile). But the big problem is i only have around $12,000.
"76 Red" told me it only cost him around $6,000 for his 76'.

What i am looking for is Coupe 70' to 79'. man'. and i want to put in a 400 or 500rwhp block with a 4 or 6speed. im not fussed about getting the paint done. the BODY MUST BE PERFECT.

What do you think im looking at in totall cost? is it wroth it? and just any general comments you have on the subject would be helpful.

Also if im going to build it i will only have a few weeks becuase i live in Australia and will be coming to America for a holiday and that is when i plan on doing it (i want to have most of the parts order or ready to order before i leave australia)

Thanks
Old 02-06-2003, 05:19 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about a Project c3? (Soulja_350)

Soulja_350,

Finding the proper car (good frame, rust free windshield, etc) may take a some time. At the low end (purchase price) you can presume the suspension, engine, transmission, u-joints, trailing arms, brakes, wiring, vacuum motors on the headlights, etc, etc, etc, ...... will require refurbishment/replacement just to make the car safe to drive.

A 10/11 second 1/4 mile car will require a signficant outlay for the engine/engine components. Stock Z06s seem to run in the low 12s for quarter mile times. Just a guess, a 10 second C3 would need to go on a diet and have 650+ HP. This much reliable HP might take up most of your budget just for the engine. (Check some of the vendor's crate motor prices.)

Usually when your criteria is "better-quicker-cheaper", you only get to choose two. For example, you can get something better and quicker, but it won't be cheaper. Horsepower costs $$$, Time costs $$$$.

If you have to send your parts out to be rebuilt - this will eat up your budget. If you plan to do the work yourself, you save lots of money, but, it takes you more time.

People can build some remarkable cars for reasonable money - the money they save is from their own labor. The most challenging aspect of your proposed project is probably the short time frame.

A longer time frame would give you the opportunity to scrounge around for the best deals on parts and services - taking more time would help preserve your money. You might check out this thread on how much it costs to restore a C3. The time frame for many of these projects is quite long.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...419546#1419546

Good luck with you project!

[Modified by mapman, 9:17 PM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 07:03 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thinking about a Project c3? (mapman)

I have a friend in the state which was willing to help me out the only problem is that he told me it would take along time and Australia has a new import law comin in on 2003 May, which doesnt allow importing of mod car (got to get if there is a yr e.g car 15yr doesnt apply)

What would the cost be of removing rust and fixing the body/frame of the car so its like brand new? (i know it depends on the condition lets just say avg. condtion)

[Modified by Soulja_350, 12:18 PM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 10:43 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about a Project c3? (Soulja_350)

Soulja_350,

Given your location, what is the availability of donor cars? Just shipping parts, seems to me, will be expensive. You might use the Tools button above and do a "Corvetteforum Neighbor Locator" search for other CF members in Australia. Send them an email, they would be able to give you a much better assessment of the challenges you face with this project.

To answer your question, your initial outlay for a car should be for one that has a straight (undamaged) frame with only minor surface rust (not in need of repair. I would not consider a car that had structural rust frame damage. Repairing such a frame would be very expensive. The C3 For Sale and C3 Parts for Sale sections should give you a starting point.

There are a lot of ancillary parts that increase the cost of any project. I have a problem with ".. as long as I'm here, I might as well fix ..." This adds costs and slows down completion of any project.

You might check the new law you mentioned carefully for what it might do to the future availability of parts. I would guess you want to DRIVE your car not just look at it.

On another topic: Any good information on the Holden Monaro CV8, which will be imported here as the Pontiac GTO? Looks like GM is going to start building more rear wheel drive cars! Thanks -

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about a Project c3?

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Project c3?