C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 12:20 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog!

So I order a set of intake gaskets and a melonized distributor gear from my local Chevy dealer. They come in, I go pick them up and don't pay much attention to the price. Well, I get home and look at the receipt, then I start flipping through the Scoggin-Dickey catalog-WOW! SD has the gaskets for $16 and the gear for $25. My guys had charged me $25 and $38. I went back over there today with the parts and the catalog. I can tell the guy hates me immediately. He takes my catalog and goes in "THE BACK" for a few minutes, then comes back shaking his head and tells me he can't help me and he'll have to refund my money. He says the catalog prices are what he pays for the parts from GM? Finally he offeres to sell me the parts for the catalog price + 15%. I took them, but it chaps my hide when they try to stroke you.

Does GM really charge some dealerships more than others for parts? They all pay the same for cars. Next time I'll check the prices against the catalog before I ask them to order something. I like a place that will match a good price offered elswhere, but shouldn't I buy it from the cheaper place anyway to reward them for offering the better price in the first place? Input welcome.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog! (ORVette)

I think so, it probably depends on amount of sales. I know a guy who is parts manager at a local Chevy dealer, he's told me he can't come close to matching prices from SD or Jim Pace.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:57 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Another good source of info to keep your local dealer honest is the GMpartsdirect.com website. If you can supply the GM part # they give you the GM list price. (Used to give you GM wholesale price, but no more :( )
For the small bits and pieces that I occasionally get from my local dealer I dont mind paying GM list price. Trans drain plug, and I got some carb parts - rods and jets. No shipping charge, which can be prohibitive if you are ordering a few small parts from a vendor. MJ
Old 02-06-2003, 01:30 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: (MNJack)

:iagree: On both those items, plus you sometimes have the convenience of
getting a quality part on the spot - no waiting. Of course, that depends on the
application. Classic vette parts may not be in stock. Some are.

BTW - didn't you trade a Monte Carlo for that BB - or am I mistaken ? :seeya

ps - just noticed I kinda 'stole' - in a sense - your handle (unknowingly)
pps -MNJack is not from MN :nonod:

[Modified by NHvette, 1:34 AM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 01:40 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: (NHvette)

Dealer list prices also vary from dealer to dealer, I always mention corvette club and get 20-35 percent off. Smaller dealers usually have higher list prices than bigger city dealers. :chevy
Old 02-06-2003, 07:23 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog! (ORVette)

You have to compare apple to apples. You have tp take into account the shipping and "handling" cost involved. A while back fauxrs stated that he ordered some metering rods parts from gmpartsdirect and the S/H added 75% to the cost of the parts. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=459048

Your catalog price +15% would be a better deal than ordering online. Quite a few of the online parts suppliers are using this tactic. Quote really low prices and jab you on "handling". It is always best to shop around but compare the "total" price.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:24 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Can you guys tell me where to get the Scoggin catalog?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2003, 08:39 AM
vette69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog! (Avette4me)

Here is a link to their web site. You can order it on-line.
http://www.sdpc2000.com/
Old 02-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

little story that happened to me

it was late 1998 and i just picked up a 1999 tahoe (GMS :D ) on day two the wife left her vette at home and took the tahoe to work. as sh is driving in front of my office and stops the kid behind her hit our back bumper and put a small dent in it. the insurance company gave us like $490 for the bumper and rental for the two days of repair. i called my friend that works at a chevy place and he told me cost was around $240 and that i could have it for that. well the wife's niece was dating a guy (now married to him) that worked at the large paint & body (now has his own shop and painted my vette for free :D ) shop in san antonio. he told me to go pick up my new bumper at another dealer and it waswaiting on the dock for me $195. the other dealer is the wholesale dealer in town. my friend at the other dealership was mad because i got it for less than they can get for.
Mike
Old 02-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog! (vette69)

Thanks vette69.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:43 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto parts places (including dealer parts counters) have two prices: retail price and wholesale price. I forget the exact term on the latter -- been many years since I worked in the business. Anyhow, the wholesale price is for repair and body shops. Some "enlightened" parts places will offer this pricing to DIY'ers; others won't.

Our local Corvette club has a deal with a Gunn Chevy here in San Antonio. We get 25% off parts and 15% off labor. And believe me, they still make a good profit off the stuff!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:03 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

I guess I shouldn't be so hard on them. I also think that the catalog price + 15% is a better deal, especially when it comes to returns, plus having parts in hand. I have bought other things from this dealer, and I was happy with the prices. In fact, if I hadn't have seen the parts listed in the catalog, I would've been fine with what they charged. I think I'll take the parts guy a box of doughnuts this Friday and thank him for the good deal! Thanks for the input.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog! (page62)

Alot of places call the wholesale price a "Jobber" price. I have noticed a few things about GM parts. One is they vary alot from dealer to dealer. When I was looking for my zz4 I found prices ranging from list to below cost. When I bought my flywheel for the motor I found the best price at our corvette club sponser. They gives us parts at cost +10%. I actually got my flywheel cheaper after paying taxes then it would have cost me from Scroggin-Dickey. In order to get the best deal you really need to shop around and pull in any connections you have.

Mark B.

Get notified of new replies

To Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog!

Quick Reply: Local GM dealership cringes when I bring in the Scoggin catalog!