C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find do it yourself ceramic coating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 12:18 AM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to find do it yourself ceramic coating?

I bought a set of Hooker Super Comps off Ebay for $130 shipped, and now I'm going to sand off the surface rust and either paint or coat them. I have access to a large oven where I could bake them. Does anyone know where I can get quality coatings smiliar to what Hooker would use on their coated headers?

Thanks!
Jerry
Old 02-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Where to find do it yourself ceramic coating? (jerryjfunk)

Techline Coatings sells the Ceramicoat, just go to http://www.google.com and search for Techline Coatings, they are in Midlothian Texas and ship quick.
Plan on sandblasting the headers, then degrease them to perfection.
Spray the coating on the Absolutely Clean headers. Put them in the oven for an hour at 500 degrees.
Polish them with 0000 steel wool. The only thing you probably won't be able to do is coat the inside of the headers. I don't think you could ever get them clean enough on the inside without some kind of specialized cleaning devices.
The big boys do it by placing the headers in a box of polishing media and vibrate them for hours.
I've coated several small parts with the coating and it works, but you have to have it completely rust free, paint free and oil and grease free. Even finger prints will cause the stuff not to stick.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:35 AM
dsagers
Pro

Default Re: Where to find do it yourself ceramic coating? (jerryjfunk)

Some where in my basement I have about a half gallon of this stuff. Guy I bought it from said to clean up the part real good, get all the grease / oil off it. Put on thecoatings and bake at 350 df for 45 mins.

I never used it because never found an oven.

Think I'm into to $75, and it's yours for that same price.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:00 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Where to find do it yourself ceramic coating? (Smokehouse69)

I think I'm going to get the ceramakrome from Tech Line, it'll only cost $40. The only problem is I won't be able to coat the inside. I'm getting quotes to see how much Jet-hot and a couple other places would charge to do the coating.

Thanks for all of the help, guys. :thumbs:

Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Where to find do it yourself ceramic coating?

Quick Reply: Where to find do it yourself ceramic coating?