C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go again. Which Headers are best?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 08:05 PM
vette69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here we go again. Which Headers are best?????

I am looking at getting headers for my '69 small block. If price were not the deciding factor, which headers are best? Hooker, Hedman, Dynomax, etc. I know there are different models from the manufacturers as well. Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the archives.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Teuffelhunde
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (vette69)

I've got hooker side pipe/side mount headers and love them. The sound is great!
Old 02-05-2003, 08:13 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (Teuffelhunde)

I just ordered DynoMax. I had wanted Hooker until reading about the ground clearance problems.

DynoMax is JetHot and 16 guage. They have a lifetime warranty that even includes rust and the price is right!

BTW, see my thread on gaskets.!
Old 02-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (Teuffelhunde)

Hooker headers, with the Jet Hot coating. They are the most expensive, but you get what you pay for :yesnod:. My Hedman thermal coated headers were $260, and they already have little surface "rust" colored spots :mad. If I could do it again, I'd get the Hooker's with Jet Hot :cheers:
Old 02-05-2003, 08:56 PM
J75
Racer

I have the coated Hookers and I have never had a clearance issue of any kind.Great quality and easy installation.If I bought new headers tomorrow they would be Hooker.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:45 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (OHSIXX)

I just ordered DynoMax. I had wanted Hooker until reading about the ground clearance problems.

DynoMax is JetHot and 16 guage. They have a lifetime warranty that even includes rust and the price is right!

BTW, see my thread on gaskets.!
:yesnod: :withstupid: :yesnod: :iagree: :yesnod: :withstupid: :yesnod: :iagree:

BTW...OHSIXX...i am interested in that thread...do you have a link?

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 9:46 PM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 10:10 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (SIGNGUY)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got hooker side pipe/side mount headers and love them. The sound is great!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sound tone great, but what about the road clearance diminsion of Hooker Sidepipes?

:cheers:
Old 02-06-2003, 09:23 AM
woodenichols
Racer

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (74 vert)

I had a thread running earlier this week concerning ground clearance issues.
I installed the Hooker SuperComps on my "68" last weekend and they only had about 2" of clearance at the collector flange. Keep in mind this is a big block with under car pipes not sidepipes. I might have gained some clearance with new springs but I don't want to alter my cars ride highth. I removed the headers yesterday and am now looking for something else to replace them. I too, am curious about other manufacturers fit and quality as I fully intend to put some type of headers on the car. Ideas, suggestions and recomendations are needed. Concerning your original question, I too believe you get what you pay for. The Hookers are certainly nice. They just didn't fit. :cheers:

Steve
Old 02-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (woodenichols)

Dynomax for sure Jet coated and Get some Percy's Aluminum Gaskets to seal them
Old 02-06-2003, 09:57 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

STAHL :yesnod:
Old 02-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

In my mind the headers depend on the cash you want to spend. I wanted a nice cheap set of headers that looked good so I went with the Dynomax. I was intent on getting headers that were Jet-Hot coated. The next step up would have been a nice set of Hookers, but they would have cost around 300-400 dollars coated.

Mark B.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:57 AM
wallyknoch
Pro

I like and use the Hooker comp. on my track Camaros. The fit on Hookers are always perfect. Equal length and large diameter. Ground clearence for competition cars is adequate because the tracks are smooth. Street driven cars may encounter clearence problems with the comp headers, but there are other Hooker styles specifically for the street. Every once in a while I use the LS7 powered 68 Camaro on the street and I have encountered ground clearence problems. But competition sets are 2 1/4 equal length to the 3 1/2 collector. I also use them on my Race Hemi 70 Cuda convertible. Now thats a wild set. I have one pipe that litterly wraps around the drag link and they come in three pieces to accomplish the installation. Check the picture of the Cuda on the web site below. There is adequate ground clearence but not for off road. :thumbs: {Hooker} :yesnod: http://www.nitroalley.net/cuda.htm

[Modified by wallyknoch, 11:04 AM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 10:57 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (Sigforty)

I have not had any clearance problems with my Hooker Super Comps. BUT the coating that came with them ("ceramic" according to them) is dulling after a couple thousand miles. The build quality, other than that, is excellent.
On the other hand, the DynoMax I put on my '76 Suburban 454 still have a great shine on the coating after at least 10K miles of daily driving. The build quality looks about the same and they fit great, but I had to grind down a couple welds where the tubes meet the collector. Not a big deal, especially since they cost less than half the Hooker Supers with coating.
To add fuel to the fire, one of the car mags (Hot Rod or Chevy High I think) actually picked up a few HP running DynoMax on a 400+HP 383 stroker vs the Super Comp, so the bigger tubes are probably not necessary, and may even hurt power with a smaller cam/head combo.
Jeff
Old 02-06-2003, 11:04 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

there is a Hooker side pipe GP cgoing on right now
Mike
Old 02-06-2003, 11:10 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (woodenichols)

I had a thread running earlier this week concerning ground clearance issues.
I installed the Hooker SuperComps on my "68" last weekend and they only had about 2" of clearance at the collector flange. Keep in mind this is a big block with under car pipes not sidepipes. I might have gained some clearance with new springs but I don't want to alter my cars ride highth. I removed the headers yesterday and am now looking for something else to replace them. I too, am curious about other manufacturers fit and quality as I fully intend to put some type of headers on the car. Ideas, suggestions and recomendations are needed. Concerning your original question, I too believe you get what you pay for. The Hookers are certainly nice. They just didn't fit. :cheers:

Steve
Look at getting Sanderson manifolds instead of headers. http://www.sandersonheaders.com
Old 02-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Here we go again. Which Headers are best????? (Alwyn678)

Dynomax for sure Jet coated and Get some Percy's Aluminum Gaskets to seal them
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Here we go again. Which Headers are best?????

Quick Reply: Here we go again. Which Headers are best?????