C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition shielding bracket question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 04:23 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ignition shielding bracket question

I want to add the original ignition shielding back to my smallblock '69. I have a pair of the vertical shields but nothing else, no brackets, etc. What do I need to purchase just to attach the distributor cover and the vertical shields?

In looking at my AIM, I see the brackets up at the distributor, but where do they bolt to on the intake? Where do the vertical shields attach at the lower end?

Thanks!
Shannon
Old 02-05-2003, 04:31 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ignition shielding bracket question (sb69coupe)

I have just the cover/top and upper brackets/side sheilds, they are bolted down by the rear intake bolts or should I say mine where when I got it. Not sure about that lower sheilding.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:47 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ignition shielding bracket question (Fevre)

Fevre, thanks! The side shields are the ones I am calling the vertical shields. The ones that attach at the side of the distributor cover and go down the side of the engine against the firewall. Where do they attach at the lower end?
Old 02-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fevre, thanks! The side shields are the ones I am calling the vertical shields. The ones that attach at the side of the distributor cover and go down the side of the engine against the firewall. Where do they attach at the lower end?
Sorry I don't know, all I has was the three upper peices. :confused: With todays insulated wires you really don't need the sheilding unless you are going for the factory correct look.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:04 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ignition shielding bracket question (Fevre)

TTT - Anyone else know how the vertical shields attach at the bottom?
Old 02-05-2003, 06:35 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is how it goes. The spark plug shields attach to the brackets on the exhaust manifold with wing bolts. The rear of these shields have captured nuts. The vertical shields attach to the back of these spark plug shields with wing bolts and fit over the spark plug guides. The top of the vertical shield attaches to the supports that bolt on to the intake manifold by fitting under the top shield and using a wing bolt to go through both pieces. If I remember correctly the shielding supports bolt on to the intake at the second from rear bolt. If you take a look at my sig pic you can get a good idea of how it attaches. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:14 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ignition shielding bracket question (vettfixr)

Mr Fixr :D I sho' do apppreciate your input. I was hoping to avoid having to purchase any of the lower spark plu gshields and such, but I guess I'll have to in order to mount the shielding.

Thanks!
Shannon
Old 02-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I am in the process of rebuilding my engine and adding shielding, I can tell you what I've dug up.

The two verticle shields mount to a pair of verticle brackets which are bolted onto the back of the intake manifold. There are four lower (horizontal) shields, two front (l and r) and two rear (l and r) that mount onto the exhaust manifold. The verticle bracket on the right side of the block has a hole at the bottom that mounts to the rear horizontal shield with a wing nut. The left verticle shield mounts to a support with a wing nut. These are available from corvette corner as a kit for $145 (the kit includes includes wing nuts and mounting hardware).

The upper shield (wraps around distributor and coil) is available from just about all of the parts guys for about a $100 for both the top and side.

The verticle steel mounting brackets mentioned above can be purchased from Dr. Rebuild and others for about $10/each. You'll need two.

You will also want the square rubber grommet that fits into the top of the mounting bracket. Your wires pass through the grommet and into the distributor. The grommet is about $5/pair from Dr. Rebuild.

You may also want to verify that you have the two lower (l and r on the rear of the block) wires guides. The wires drop down from the afore mentioned bracket and pass through these and turn 90 degrees toward the block. There is another set (l and r) of guides that mount on the side of the block that feed the wires forward. All of these items are available for about $25 from Dr Rebuild.

You may also want to verify that you have two V-shaped chrome supports, one on each side of the block for the lower shields. If your engine is original, they may already be there.

Last thing, check for the four steel spark plug wire heat shields. These are available from Mid America as a set for about $25.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 02-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ignition shielding bracket question (Burgandy 69)

Great description. This may help too:

Old 02-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: ignition shielding bracket question (Robert N)

Hmmm,

That is a nice illustration. Where did you find it?

Mark
Old 02-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ignition shielding bracket question (Burgandy 69)

Since I am not sure if they are a supporting vendor, sending the info via email.

Get notified of new replies

To ignition shielding bracket question

Quick Reply: ignition shielding bracket question