C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retaining Clip installation for door locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 03:19 PM
RLaFarge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Retaining Clip installation for door locks

What is the magic trick to getting this darn things on. I have tried everything I know. I have had my car broken into once already and I would LOVE to get the new locks installed. Can anybody give me some help with this?
Thanks in advance, :banghead:
Old 02-05-2003, 03:47 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Retaining Clip installation for door locks (RLaFarge)

I have a very large pair of hemostats that I used to hold them in place, then either push them in with a large screwriver or a very small ball peen hammer.
If I remember correctly, I also took the bolts out of the window track and pushed it out of the way to do all this.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:01 PM
RLaFarge
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Retaining Clip installation for door locks (pws69)

I will see if I can find some hemostats to try this with. I am about at the end of my rope with it. I get it on there and they bend upward when I try squezzing it on a with pair of pliers. Then it flys off and I have to dig it out of the bottom of the door. The lock is just sitting in the hole at the moment.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I did mine without removing the glass. Tie a thread to the retainer so if you drop it it's easier to get back. If you think the retainer is hard don't try to replace the rod from the outside door handle to the lock assembly. That's really hard.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:13 PM
IETEK
Advanced

This may or may not help I recently had to adjust the inside and outside door lever linkages on my 77. I had to remove the outside door handle. In order to completly remove it, you have to remove the plastic innershield that keeps water off the latching mechanism take the two bolts off the bottom of the outside door handle (the rearward most bolt is kind of tedious to take off) after this remove the three Phillips head screws holding the door latching mechanism in place when you do this you will be able to lift the outside handle up enough to remove the linkage on the handle side. In your case if am reading your post correctly it would give you access to put the clip back on. I know it sounds like allot of work but it only took me about an hour to do this.

Good Luck,IETEK :D

Get notified of new replies

To Retaining Clip installation for door locks

Quick Reply: Retaining Clip installation for door locks