C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else do I need to buy if I get Smart Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 11:41 AM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default What else do I need to buy if I get Smart Struts?

Will I actually notice any difference in handling with the Smart Struts given the suspension package I've already got?

My '80 has the 330 lb rear spring, 5/8" rear sway bar, 460 lb front coil springs, 1 1/8" front sway bar, and Bilsteins on all 4 corners.

[Modified by PartTimeGenius, 4:44 PM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: What else do I need to buy if I get Smart Struts? (PartTimeGenius)

You'll get better grip on the rear tires.. I'd assume this would make the car less "twitchy" at the limit.

-Steve
Old 02-05-2003, 08:22 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,900 Likes on 927 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

The advantage of the Smart Strut is that it allows you to decide how much camber change you want in the rear. Stock they go through some pretty wild gyrations back there...watch a stock automatic one "squat" when you power brake it. Wheels camber in like crazy as the halfshafts go over center.

As you lower the inside pickup point you limit the amount of change. The factory improved it on the C-3's vs the C-2's. For drag racing it's great because you can keep the wheel dead vertical almost throughout it's travel.

For ultimate cornering, a little camber change can be good. But tire wear will decrease dramatically with them set in the lowest position.

You just have to decide what you want it to do....it is adjustable to do just about anything.

JIM
Old 02-05-2003, 11:42 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will I actually notice any difference in handling with the Smart Struts given the suspension package I've already got?

My '80 has the 330 lb rear spring, 5/8" rear sway bar, 460 lb front coil springs, 1 1/8" front sway bar, and Bilsteins on all 4 corners.

[Modified by PartTimeGenius, 4:44 PM 2/5/2003]
I think you'll notice a difference, at least I did after the swap, but it was done when I set up my alignment as well so that may have something to do with it. The big thing is your camber doesn't really change much with them over the wheels travel. In other words the unloaded wheel won't try and go positive and the loaded wheel won't try and go negative, it pretty much keeps them in place. I didn't believe at first it made that much difference until I jacked up the back of the car to get the rear tires off the ground and I couldn't tell any real difference in my camber when they would have normally moved substantially toward the positive with the stock struts. If nothing else they make setting up the rear alignment a breeze, it was almost fun when I did it.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz

Get notified of new replies

To What else do I need to buy if I get Smart Struts?

Quick Reply: What else do I need to buy if I get Smart Struts?