C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Demon??? AIR FILTER???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed Demon??? AIR FILTER???

OK I put a 650CFM Speed Demon on yesterday. Ive got a few questons. <OL>
<LI>What air cleaners are you guys using to fit the carb?
<LI>where do you put an inline fuel filter in?
<LI>Does anybody know a website or somewhere I can get easy tuning instuctions for this carb?
<LI>Is it normal for flames to shoot 3 FEET out of the primaries when I kick it a little?
</OL>
I need alot of help this is the first carb change that I have ever done and it is very different than the old Q-jet. :confused: :cry
Old 02-05-2003, 11:42 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Speed Demon??? AIR FILTER??? (Corvettelvr73)

<LI>Does anybody know a website or somewhere I can get easy tuning instuctions for this carb?
<LI>Is it normal for flames to shoot 3 FEET out of the primaries when I kick it a little?
</OL>
I need alot of help this is the first carb change that I have ever done and it is very different than the old Q-jet. :confused: :cry
Air Filter - any drop-base open element with 2-1/2" filter. I am using K&N drop base with Xtreme lid.

Fuel Filter - I have one inline at the tank, to protect my fuel pump as well as my carb. Just make sure it has large enough fittings (3/8" I believe)

Tuning - Did you watch the video that came with the carb? It is fairly useful to get you started, but not 100%. I have had REALLY good luck calling their tech line. I tell them what my combo is and what my issues are and they offer suggestions. Write exactly what they say down...trust me, you'll forget the details within a few minutes.

Flames shooting out...not normal. Check your timing. Sounds like your timing is too advanced, or the carb is flooding or running way to rich, or you have spark plugs wire(s) installed to the wrong cylinders.

Good luck!
Jeff

Old 02-05-2003, 12:24 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I have a 3X14 K&N open element on a dropped base

My filter is an inline 8 AN connected to my fuel log for the dual bowl feed

If you made no other changes other than just a carb R&R. Carb backfire or lean popping is caused by: Vacuum leak or not a fast or big enough accelerator pump squirt.

This might be a dumb question: Are you using or do you have the large 3/8 under the rear bowl vacuum port capped off? For that matter explain to me what your doing with each of the three carbs vacuum ports.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a question.
what performance improvements will you see with the Speed Demon? Would one of these be better than my Lars Q-Jet?

Stew
Old 02-05-2003, 01:19 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Speed Demon??? AIR FILTER??? (Stewart's74)

Stew nice before and after shots! :thumbs:

IMO any carb can be mastered. I do believe that certian carburators have the ability to keep a more correct A/F ratio over a wider operating range of a given motor.

The whole Barry Grant/Demon series of carbs just incorporate all of the hoppup modifications that people have been doing to Holleys for years. I also believe that Demon carbs flow more than the listed CFM. I also believe that 90% of the double pumper equiped cars on the road would be better off with a Smaller CFM double pumper or a Speed Demon Vacuum Secondary.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Speed Demon??? AIR FILTER??? (no_radio)

Air Filter - any drop-base open element with 2-1/2" filter. K@N element
Fuel Filter - I have one inline at the tank, to protect my fuel pump as well as my carb.
Flames shooting out...not normal. Check your timing. Sounds like your timing is too advanced, or the carb is flooding or running way to rich, or you have spark plugs wire(s) installed to the wrong cylinders.
:iagree:

I am Also running a 1/2 inch spacer under my carb. I needed it to clear the vacum ports on the rear
Old 02-05-2003, 03:59 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Speed Demon??? AIR FILTER??? (no_radio)

</OL>

Air Filter - any drop-base open element with 2-1/2" filter. I am using K&N drop base with Xtreme lid.

Fuel Filter - I have one inline at the tank, to protect my fuel pump as well as my carb. Just make sure it has large enough fittings (3/8" I believe)

Tuning - Did you watch the video that came with the carb? It is fairly useful to get you started, but not 100%. I have had REALLY good luck calling their tech line. I tell them what my combo is and what my issues are and they offer suggestions. Write exactly what they say down...trust me, you'll forget the details within a few minutes.

Good luck!
Jeff
Yes, you need a drop base air cleaner, 14".

The only time I had flames in the air cleaner is when the timing was retarded.

Get notified of new replies

To Speed Demon??? AIR FILTER???

Quick Reply: Speed Demon??? AIR FILTER???