C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 10:13 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance

I never thought this day would come. After nearly six years of ownership of my C3 (the longest I have owned ANY automobile!) I can honestly say that I have achieved my objective.

My C3's performance has plateud. The next increase (if I were to pursue increases; which I will not) would involve ported/polished heads, better fuel mgmt (better carb or fuel injection/nitrous/supercharger/turbo), stroking or a completely different engine.

But what I have (performance) is enough. The car is very drivable and has boat-loads of power that I will never fully experience.

I'm ready to move on... to non-power related items on the car!

Next project is the wholesale replacement of the steering system including refresh/blueprinting of the steering gear assembly by Van-Steel and replacement with rebuilt Power Steering pump, slave cylinder, valve and hoses.

Then... the interior! Actually, I intend to begin from the 'outside' and work my way to the interior by rebuilding:

Inner door workings (locks/opening mechanisms, power window, window glass, and bushings)
T-top hardware
Inner dash area (vacuum system that controls the ac/heating/vents)
Stereo (and rear speaker enclosures)
Security system
Wiring from the 700R4 that needs re-routing
Heat/AC duct-work
The dashboard/glove-box/steering wheel assemblies.

I anticipate a project to also begin some detailing of the engine compartment primarily focused on removal of 23 years of road grime, sand and crud from the firewall area and underside of the car (I don't intend to 'fully de-grease' as much as do a general 'clean and wipe' of the area. Focus will also be on repair of some of the wiring connections at the distributor, alternator, ac, and other components that have been exposed to the underhood temps and environment.

Then... conversion of the AC system to the new refrigerant (and rebuild of the AC compressor; it is slinging a light mist lubricant).

Finally, the repair/replacement of the interior (saving it for the very last).

This should occupy the next 2-3 years while I continue to enjoy my C3!

Lots of fun! :seeya

P.S. For those that are curious, here's a run-down of what I have done to my .020" over 350, trans and differential:

K&N Filter
Rebuilt dual snorkel ducted/ram-air system
Lars-rebuilt Q-jet (also re-jetted richer)
Custom Bow-Tie O'drives adjustable TVS system
Edelbrock Performer Intake (3701)
Modine radiator, new radiator support
DR Rebuild Vacuum hoses (all systems)
ACCEL Performance Replacement HEI Distributor - recurved by Tune Tech, Tarpon Springs, FL
DART Iron Eagle Heads (180cc intake runners, 72cc chambers, straight plug, 2.02/1.60 valves, guideplates, springs accomodate .550" lift)
Summit stamped steel rocker arms, hardened pushrods, anti-gall pivot *****
Crane Energizer Cam (272H). .454/.454" lift, 216 degrees duration at .050", and 110 degree lobe separation (1800-5400rpm range). Great low and midrange torque. Good idle (700rpm in Drive)
Federal Mogul hypereutectic flat-top pistons with valve reliefs
Clevite/Michigan 77 bearings
Fel-Pro gaskets
Cloyes True Roller Timing Chain
Mellings High Volume Oil Pump
Hastings Moly Rings (15k miles on rebuild with no problems)
Block bored .020" over
Crank shaft turned .020" under and polished
Milodon Replacement oil pan (80-85)
Jet-Hot Coated Heddman EGR Headers (68301)
2.5" True Dual Exhausts
Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers
Bow-Tie 700R4 Transmission with 2000rpm stall converter (perfect for my cam!)
Rebuild drive shaft - Performance Shaft Technology, Clearwater, FL
NEW Service Replacement differential with 3.54 Spicer gears - Blueprinted by Allans Gear Works, Clearwater, FL
Rebuilt half-shafts - Van Steel
Rebuilt Rear bearing assemblies - Van Steel
Rebuilt Rear brake calipers - Vette Brakes & Products (VB&P)
Front rubber Suspension (ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rods/ends) - VB&P
Rear Poly Adjustable Strut Rods - VB&P

I mentioned the front/rear suspension as it impacted performance/ride and supported my performance objectives.

[Modified by TedH, 10:25 AM 2/5/2003]

[Modified by TedH, 12:31 PM 2/5/2003]

[Modified by TedH, 12:12 PM 2/7/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance (TedH)

I'm glad to hear everything's going so well for you. I know things seemed rough for a while, but you did eventually hit success. :)

I really would like to mess with the ac/heater ducting and vents myself too, but I need a second car and a boat load of tranqs before I start doing that. Pulling the dash makes me very nervous.

Anyways... my creativity level is a little low as I didn't get much sleep last night. Raccoons under the house. :crazy:

STW!

-Steve
Old 02-05-2003, 10:26 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Quote:But what I have (performance) is enough. The car is very drivable and has boat-loads of power that I will never fully experience.

I wish I had 540 ci and 650 hp like you!:)

It's never ending. Just about the time you think your done the things you replaced years ago start to ware out.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:29 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance (gkull)

I suppose it depends on the amount of 'power' that you experience on a regular basis. As for me, I don't drive the car hard; I tend to enjoy driving the car (vs. thrashing it) so my demands on power tend toward the 1500-2500rpm range (and getting there). So, the hp that I (think I) have is probably around 350hp and 350-375ft lbs of torque; more than I'll have a need to use but nice to have it.

It's all relative to our needs/demands... I'm happy with the combination that I have produced.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:58 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Do you have trouble deciding which one to drive in the morning? The times that I had two Vettes. It was always a big decision. I had to factor in weather and intended use that day.

I agree with you over 100 hp over stock makes for a nice driver. I hope that you keep it to enjoy another 20 years.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:56 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I normally work from home so very little commuting. I've started to work in the office 2-3 days every two weeks. I have a TVS adjustment to make but normally limit the C3 to sunny day driving only. The C5 is my Driver (it also gets better mileage and has a great sound system (stereo) but the C3 does have a pretty good sound system too (exhaust) that is fun to listen to :) ).

It is nice to have the choice :cheers:

[Modified by TedH, 12:19 PM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 12:23 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:thumbs:
Being truly happy is what these cars were made for! :)
I think after I put on the FI I will be done too. OK, maybe sidepipes someday if I see it working out well for Eric in San Diego. Damn CA emissions.
-terry
Old 02-05-2003, 12:40 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance (terryrudy)

yes, I may swap mufflers for Flowmaster 50's when/if the Super Turbos expire...
Old 02-05-2003, 12:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance (terryrudy)

That's great to hear, I do believe I posted a similar thought about a year ago. That was before the nitrous, Victor Jr., solid cam, new 400 block in the basement........ :lolg:
Old 02-06-2003, 01:53 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Same here.Power is good enough for me,now it's on to creature comforts,and fixing the endless list of gadgets like power windows,and upgrading the speedo,etc. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance (The Money Pit)

You can never have too much power
Old 02-06-2003, 03:05 PM
ry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance (Alwyn678)

You can never have too much power
:iagree:
Old 02-07-2003, 12:27 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance (ry)

If I did anymore to the car (performance-wise), I think the wife would boot me out!

Seriously, the performance is where I wanted to get it to. It is stable at 17mpg city with use of the o-drive (it doesn't lug anymore in 4th/OD when at 40-45mph as a result of the improved vacuum and TVS settings).

It is going to be an adjustment to be able to work on things without consideration to carb removal, timing resetting, exhaust removal, differential/tire removal, etc. About the only 'under car' work that I have planned for the balance of this year is the power steering system on the front suspension, 're-bonding' of the body seam that I separated when I snagged the front trans housing on the floor where it meets the firewall metal :eek: and perhaps a few other adjustment items (bleed/fill front calipers, adjust parking brake).

The weather is perfect this time of year for afternoon cruises which I intend to enjoy until I head for Ohio at the end of May in the C5 for a 3 month 'working vacation'! :cheers: Gonna spend some quality time with my four brothers 'back home'!
Old 02-07-2003, 11:41 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Hello Ted,
Thanks for the parts listing as I'm still putting my shark back together and noticed my combination will be very similar to yours. Liked what you said about happy with the performance. I found a very low milelage short block underneith my stock choker heads - #4 exh. lobe was wiped too. I had time to eat lunch on the way to 5,000 rpm.. Worried about my stock cast pistons, I went with the smaller Crane Energizer cam (266) and was glad to hear your larger version is working well. Just wanted to warm things up for a reasonable amount of $$ and effort.
Any 1/4 mile times or dyno. numbers? If you have anything to reference how the improvement shows lets hear it, go ahead, brag all you want.
I'm bogged down now with broken bolt extractors in bolts and a core support that dosen't match original. Any positive encouragement is greatly appreciated. :hurray:
Old 02-08-2003, 10:37 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance (cardo0)

Right when I got the car dialed into where I want it, the Dyno/Tuner closed shop and took a teaching job at a NASCAR school in NC. Am hoping to get it on a dyno in 2003. Would love to see RWHP in neighborhood of 275-300 but probably will be more like 250rwhp, 325rwtq (just my guess).

Will let you know once it happens! For now, I'll probably buy desktop dyno to simulate.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:49 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

But what I have (performance) is enough
I never thought that I would hear that statement :(. I don't think there is such a thing as "enough" or too much power...it's a never-ending goal of every gear head :D. The only real challenge is backing that power with a drivetrain that can take the abuse. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance

Quick Reply: I am now CONTENT with my 1980's Power/Performance