C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about removing the wiper covers (doors) on a 71.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 12:05 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Question about removing the wiper covers (doors) on a 71. (Rick Church)

Rick, it's pretty easy. The first thing you have to do is take the grill off (6-8 screws I think) then you can reach under to get the bolts holding the door. You will need a small hand, patience and to raise the door to get at them. Use caution and penatrating oil, these bolts are known to freeze and break off. I didn't know this when I took mine off to rehab wiper assembly, so if you take care you can get them. they should have plastic bushings, which the suppliers sell, you should replace them if gone or bad. Then you have it. Put it back in reverse order. :seeya
Old 02-05-2003, 08:17 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Question about removing the wiper covers (72GACRZR)

You don't need to remove the door to adjust it. Open the door manually by removing the rubber plug on the vacuum door actuator and stick your finger in the hole (be careful guys........you may lose points :lol: ) you will feel where the rubber bladder is attached to the shaft, push on this and the door will open. With it open look at the underside of the door in both corners and you will see a phillips screw with a nut on it. These are the adjustment screws. Loosen the nut and then adjust the screw in the direction you want the door to go. Again, be careful and use some WD40 because I did snap one of the screws off trying to adjust mine.
Hope this helps
John
Old 02-05-2003, 02:40 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Question about removing the wiper covers (Rick Church)

Guys,

Thaks for the great advice. Doesn't the release **** under the dash (beneath the steering wheel) also open the door?
Yes, but if it is like my car, I have to start it to get it to work because my vacuum system is not perfectly tight and bleeds down after a few minutes. Technically, GM gave us Corvette guys such a huge vacuum accumulator ( behind the left front wheel well) so that the headlights and wiper door can be opened and closed a couple of times without starting the engine.
John
Old 02-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Question about removing the wiper covers (doors) on a 71. (Rick Church)

Proceed with caution here. Usually when the door hangs up ("stays open a bit"), the tiny pivot bolts are siezing up in the plastic bushings, or the same thing is happening to the linkage. ANY untoward force will break it. I would soak the heck out of all the pivot points a little at a time first (pull the grille), then worry about adjusting it. Worst case, the whole door and linkage assembly comes out easily as a unit.

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To Question about removing the wiper covers (doors) on a 71.

Quick Reply: Question about removing the wiper covers (doors) on a 71.