C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Olivier, Question For You?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 03:22 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Olivier, Question For You?

You have the Autometer Phantom gauges all around don't you? What size gauges did you need to get them to fit into your gauge bezel? How did they secure to the gauge bezel? Do you have any pictures?

What tach did you go with? I need a new tach with a shift light.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Olivier, Question For You? (bence13_33)

Tach and speedometer are 5in and small gages in the bezel are 2 1/16.

:cheers:
Old 02-04-2003, 03:28 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

You have the Autometer Phantom gauges all around don't you? What size gauges did you need to get them to fit into your gauge bezel? How did they secure to the gauge bezel? Do you have any pictures?

What tach did you go with? I need a new tach with a shift light.

Thanks.
]

5 inch mech. speedo, 5 inch electic tach, 2 1/16 center gauges
(el. fuel level, mech oil pressure, el. Voltmeter, el. Water Temp, Clock)

I will post installation details in a few minutes..

Olivier
Old 02-04-2003, 03:47 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Olivier, Question For You? (GrandSportC3)

1) The center gauges are pretty easy to install..
Just remove the gauge bezel and remove the old gauges completely (they are mounted in a metal housing). Remove the whole housing.
The 2 1/16 gauges fit right in the gauge bezel. They are held in place with brackets that come with them gauges. Now - the only problems are the indicators on the side of the bezel (headlamp, seat belt, door ajar indicators...).
2) In order to install the 5" speedo and tach, you will have to remove the complete gauge assembly (including lens etc). To do this - you have to pull the dash. You need to lower the steering column - so that you can pull the dash forward enought to remove the speedo and tach assemblies..
Disassemble the speedo and gauge assembly. Also remove the orignial gauges from the metal backing bezel (housing). The Autometer speedo and tach have 2 studs on them. Drill 2 holes in each housing to center the gauge in the housing.. Make sure that the gauges are aligned and centered correctly (so that they will be in the correct angle when installed. Now comes the most difficult part (if you don't have the correct tools like me).
You will have to cut out 2 holes into the backing bezel where the gauge lights mount. The problem is that the bezel isn't plain on the back side. The way I cut out the holes was by drilling small holes in a circle around the area that I wanted to cut out. Then I used a diagonal cutter to connect the holes and cut out the hole.
Now I installed the Phantom gauges through the holes that I drilled and made sure that the hole for the lighs was big enough... Now - I re-assembled the gauge assemblies the way I disassembled them with the only difference that you have to leave out the original lens. The Autometer gauges are deeper than the stock gauges and the lens would block them. The Autometer gauges have a lens themselves - so you don't need the lens anyway...
The Autometer gauges don't have the blinker indicators and brake/high beam indicators like the original gauges.. I relocated those to the center gauge bezel and got rid of the headlight, door ajar and seat belt warning indicators...
Chris (69Myway) had another solution.. He installed LED's in different colors on top of them Autometer gauges and used the original warning indicators in the center gauge bezel...

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 4:01 PM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 03:49 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I don't have any pics.. The install was pretty straight forward... The wiring of the new gauges was pretty similar like the old gauges (exept the Voltmeter which is wired differently than the Ammeter)... I do have some pics of the finished setup... I will post them shortly...

Olivier
Old 02-04-2003, 03:51 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the information Olivier. I'm going to print it out and keep it handy! Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:54 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Pic one shows the center gauge bezel.. I made my own blinker indicators for the center gauge bezel...

Pic 2 shows all gauges...

Olivier
Old 02-04-2003, 04:03 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Thanks for the information Olivier. I'm going to print it out and keep it handy! Thanks again.
I did some editing.. I had some mistakes in the description... I hope everything is understandable...

Olivier
Old 02-04-2003, 04:05 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Forgot to mention... I do have a shift light but it's not in the tach. I used a PROFORM Shift that's mounted on top of my steering column... It works fine!!

Olivier

Get notified of new replies

To Olivier, Question For You?

Quick Reply: Olivier, Question For You?