C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp. Sensor in Aluminum Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 03:01 PM
72Shark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Temp. Sensor in Aluminum Heads?

Mt new temperature sensor seems to have "issues". Can it be that the new TFS aluminum heads do not properly "ground" the sensor, so it does not function?? If so, then where do I install?? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Temp. Sensor in Aluminum Heads? (72Shark)

Did you put some kind of sealant or teflon tape on the sensor? If so, that could be your problem. I was advised to use nothing in the way of sealant for temperature sensors. I chickened out and put some anti-sieze, and it works fine.
There should be no grounding problem with you aluminum heads.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:01 AM
GTENIT
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

DONT KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY ISSUES, BUT CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE WIRE CONECTOR IS MAKING GOOD CONTACT SOMETIMES THEY GET A LITTLE LOOSE AND WILL CAUSE THE GAGE TO GO GOOFY. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

What size temp sender are you using. I know when I put in my ZZ4 that the 1/2 inch sender that was in the original motors cylinder head would not fit in the same place on the ZZ4. I had to place the 1/2 inch sender in the manifold by the thermostat. If you tried a different size sender it may not be calibrated for your temp guage. Also some times new senders are not correct either. When I swapped my motor I placed a new temp sender in from NAPA. I ran the car for a while and looked down and it said they car was running in the red 260+ degree. I eventually figured out the sender was not accurate by using a thermometer to see the actual temp. The NAPA sender was reading close to 50 degrees hotter.

Mark B.

Get notified of new replies

To Temp. Sensor in Aluminum Heads?

Quick Reply: Temp. Sensor in Aluminum Heads?