C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure Cleaning Undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure Cleaning Undercarriage

Are there any dangers in using the high pressure hose at the local car wash to clean the undercarriage of my vette? I am planning on just getting some Simple Green or something and going to the car wash, spraying it on then hosing it off. It's got 30 years of nastyness on there! Mainly I am just doing the rear (diff.) not under the engine bay or anything.

Thanks! :thumbs:
Old 02-04-2003, 10:41 AM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pressure Cleaning Undercarriage (Mystery Machine)

Be careful...

Have seen brake hoses cut with the pressure as well as water forced around seals and into places where water shouldn't be...
Old 02-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I did this a couple of years ago. I took a set of ramps to the car wash, in the middle of the night. Put on a rainsuit, layed down and started washing! I used the purple degreaser from Castrol, it is powerful stuff.
I must have spent about $20.00 in quarters at that car wash. The green degreaser at the car wash does a fair job general grease, but the Castrol stuff was the best.
PS, wash inside all the openings on the frame and crossmembers, tons of dirt and crud came out of mine. Also, my car suffered no damage from this and was about 50 lbs lighter from all the dirt and grease.

[Modified by Smokehouse69, 10:43 AM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 11:51 AM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my washer would go right through fiberglass if I got too close. It can be a delicate procedure is certain equipment.

Get notified of new replies

To Pressure Cleaning Undercarriage

Quick Reply: Pressure Cleaning Undercarriage